Photo

Asian Pop is not better than American pop.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing the same crap about why J-Pop is better than American pop. Those of you who're like this have either never heard a lot of Asian pop music or are living in a false world where everything that is Asian is somehow superior and it causes you to lose sight of the truth. I can name Asian aritsts who use sex appeal like Britney Spears, or people who cuss in their lyircs, or people with no vocal ability whatsoever.

edit: Oh, and this isn't meant to be a bashing or hate thread. I'm merely trying to make a point and let you know how foolish music elitism is.

Edited by MiangAmakura, 21 January 2006 - 08:20 PM.

#2 jpmiyuka

jpmiyuka

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

whatever. your opinion. I dont know who has ever said that here but it their IMO if they did. American pop is no different then J/K pop to me. Just in a different language. I can see your a new member. This site is dedicated to BoA. If you just came here to complain about J/K pop then I guess you should leave if you don't like it. Trying to be as nice as I can.

#3 [aNj3L_o1]

[aNj3L_o1]

614E6A334C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

Are you oookay?
:(
I don't really have an opinion on your comment. I don't think either a better since I listen to both Asian and American music. Everything just depends.

But dude, for your first post, you sound pretty pissed off.
Exactly which thread/topic are you referring to?

#4 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

whatever. your opinion. I dont know who has ever said that here but it their IMO if they did. American pop is no different then J/K pop to me. Just in a different language. I can see your a new member. This site is dedicated to BoA. If you just came here to complain about J/K pop then I guess you should leave if you don't like it. Trying to be as nice as I can.

I love J-Pop, and I love BoA. Yes, I am a new member, and I've seen this topic come up before. My post just says that I don't really understand where people are coming up with thse sill ideas of Asian pop's superiority. If I hated the music I wouldn't have bothered to join this site.

And no, I'm not angry. I'm actually very calm.

Edited by MiangAmakura, 21 January 2006 - 08:25 PM.

#5 Xiaoyu

Xiaoyu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

Yes i understand there are people who said that Asian pop is better than American pop but for as long as i've been here... I've never seen anyone on here ever saying that... True that i like Asian pop better just because I'm not in asia right now and i haven't seen many asian artist using sex appeal but i live in the US so i've seen alot.. but i'm not saying asian pop is different it really just depends on a person point of view.

#6 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I agree...
I like them both equally; actually, I like American music more. But my favorite artist is a Japanese singer (I know that makes little sense, but)...

I've encountered this way of thinking as well, but opinions are opinions. ^^; Some people view Asian music as more "wholesome" than American music, because of the lack of sex appeal; American music is repetitive/same old "garbage;" etc.

I dislike it when people say that because a lot of people who listen to it can't speak the language it's in, so if the lyrics were dirty, they wouldn't know it anyway; lots of artists like Hyori & Bin use sex-appeal (though people bash them for it also); lots of Jpop and Kpop seems repetitive or are not original, IMO...

But yeah, opinions are opinions!
I turned more to jpop & kpop these past two years because most of what's popular now is R&B and hip-hop, and I don't like it as much. But soon, there will be more rock & pop, because music goes in cycles... (I've said that alot in this forum XD) and I'll be turning on the radio a bit more than going to BoAjjang! =O Maybe.

http://forums.boajja...=American music
That's the thread that had a lot of American music bashing, which is the type of thread MiangAmakura may be referring to. But it's an old thread so don't revive it.

Edited by Ricadonna, 21 January 2006 - 08:36 PM.

#7 budonkadonk

budonkadonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

I can see what you're saying.

But, Pop over in America is just dead... you really don't see too many people releasing anything pop related... aside from people and groups that have etched their name in the mainstream.

If you compare it to Pop over here in Japan... it's just overshadowed. Pop still owns the music industry here and it's more varied. You still have your boy bands, girl groups, bubblegum pop, soloists, duos, and artists from other genres such as Rock/R&B/HipHop/Reggae cross into the pop scene.

Now, if you want to compare the quality... then you really leave it up to individual preferences.

Aside from the abundance of Pop artists and songs, what the asian market (mainly Japan) has as an advantage is that Pop is actually popular here... it's just on the backburner back in America.

#8 jpmiyuka

jpmiyuka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

I love J-Pop, and I love BoA. Yes, I am a new member, and I've seen this topic come up before. My post just says that I don't really understand where people are coming up with thse sill ideas of Asian pop's superiority. If I hated the music I wouldn't have bothered to join this site.

And no, I'm not angry. I'm actually very calm

I apologize then. I can understand what your saying. But like I said if people think J/k pop is better than Ameri pop then thats their IMO. In which really not one is better than the other, both are the same just in different languages. None is better than the other, IMO. Its just music.

I've encountered this way of thinking as well, but opinions are opinions. ^^; Some people view Asian music as more "wholesome" than American music, because of the lack of sex appeal; American music is repetitive/same old "garbage;" etc.

I think they are both the same(gosh I said this alot). It seems like asian music reflects ameri music a little bit but not quite all the way.

Edited by jpmiyuka, 21 January 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#9 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

This is the mindset that I'm speaking of. I'm not directly attacking anyone, but this concept irritates me a little. I merely want people to know what Asian music in general is not really superior to American music.

#10 xx_lost_love_xx

xx_lost_love_xx

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

it varies from person to person
its their ideas and their choices
to me i would choose kpop over english songs anyday
i used to be into american music a lot and wouldnt even look at asian music at all, or i was into it but not really
now.. its the other way around..
american music just doesnt appeal to me anymore

some people might find american music superior to asian music
others might differ

cuz my friends DO find american music superior and i dont agree

Edited by xx_lost_love_xx, 21 January 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#11 krjeami

krjeami

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yet, that is your own opinion. It really depends on one's personal preference.

#12 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Yet, that is your own opinion. It really depends on one's personal preference.

That's all good. People can like it better, but some people are liking it better for the wrong reasons and that's the issue.

#13 kuraudo

kuraudo

I belong in a mental asylum!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

I can see what you're saying.

But, Pop over in America is just dead... you really don't see too many people releasing anything pop related... aside from people and groups that have etched their name in the mainstream.

If you compare it to Pop over here in Japan... it's just overshadowed. Pop still owns the music industry here and it's more varied. You still have your boy bands, girl groups, bubblegum pop, soloists, duos, and artists from other genres such as Rock/R&B/HipHop/Reggae cross into the pop scene.

Now, if you want to compare the quality... then you really leave it up to individual preferences.

Aside from the abundance of Pop artists and songs, what the asian market (mainly Japan) has as an advantage is that Pop is actually popular here... it's just on the backburner back in America.

I stand on agreement for what budonk has said. Since I like the type of music that is popular in Japan and Korea, but is not in America, and I am asian and I like BoA, thats where my bias has steered its way through.

Anyhoo, I think i will suggest that you leave a friendly "hi" in member introductions, because your first impression is an angry one.

In My opinion I think Asian for POP is better, but generally thats not what people agree and jpop sales can't touch American sales. I just dont follow the huge amass of people saying snoop doggy dogg is better and sells more than BoA, therefore I should like him more.

#14 budonkadonk

budonkadonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

That's all good. People can like it better, but some people are liking it better for the wrong reasons and that's the issue.

I'll give a nod to some people liking it for the wrong reasons. Some people like Asian music simply because it's Asian. They turn their nose to music from other countries because they have their Asian music.

Now, that's wrong... whenever there is "elitism" involved (now... is elitism a word that was developed for forums... I never hear people say it... but I always see it on forums), then people are liking it for the wrong reasons.

It's like those folks that watch Japanese cartoons and nothing else because they think that everything else is rubbish. It's just silly and close-minded. Don't talk bad about music because of where it's from... talk bad about music because it's genuinely bad.

Edited by budonkadonk, 21 January 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#15 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

It seems I would do better to bring up this topic on Gaia Online instead of here. I somehow figured this would be the result if I posted here, but I've been a member a while and never bothered to come to this site for some odd reason. I don't know why I put it off for so long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users