Photo

Asian Pop is not better than American pop.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#16 shinhuamanda

shinhuamanda

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

As someone mentioned already American pop is no longer really the general pop anymore. It's leaning into either rap or rock. However, I think J-Pop and American pop are equal because there are always pop singers that are awesome and there are pop singers that screw people's ears.

#17 -rita;zafra-

-rita;zafra-

[·*·BoA'slilPanda·*·]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

i prefer k-pop better than american pop, but that doesn't mean that i only like k-pop, cuz there are great artits who sing american pop, j-pop or k-pop, but there are also talentless people. IMO right now there aren't really many talented artists singing american POP [not refering to other genres] as there used to be mainly becuz of the reasons that budonkadonk and danny said, but there are a few.

so basically what i have to say is that: do i prefer k-pop? yeah but that's my opinion but prefering doesn't mean that the other sucks. Maybe is just my opinion and i have my own reasons. Its all about people's taste =] and yeah i'm not asian so i'm not biased, at least i think so O.o

#18 goodkarma

goodkarma

GROOVEDiGGER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

I also agree with budonkadonk. :(
The people who claim to be open-minded because they listen to asian music but then hate anything that ISN'T asian... well, they're hypocrites. Those kind of people annoy me.
I love and listen to asian music but I also like some American music. I have said that a lot of American music annoys me (tons of stuff on the Top 40), but there is some that I like. I really love American indie music. <3

#19 ptoor

ptoor

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

Musically, pop in North America is absolutely appauling. I rarely see artists experimenting, nor requesting for better composers. Whereas some of the asian artists have an extensive team of composers and lyricists that get the job done right.

I'm not sure if you're a musician yourself, or just like listening to music, but you start to pick up a lot of little things when you start to play an instrument.

Oh and one more thing. When an artists' life defines their music, rather than their talent defines their music, then I wouldn't even consider them musicians/artists. To clarify, if an artist solely depends on publicity stunts and body modifications to seek attention and fans to listen to their music, they may as well go into acting. :(

#20 viper92583

viper92583

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Well, since this topic came up, I'll just come right out and say that American pop right now is awful. I can't say that there aren't isolated instances where a musician actually is worth listening to...I just don't see them often...As for rap, I can't say that I count it as music. IMO, I see it as a monologue dubbed over some background music, much of which is primarily the same as what has been done years ago...If rappers didn't have the image, I'm guessing a lot more people would agree with me...

Let's see...second thing...language barrier. I'm an American caucasian native English speaker who speaks no other languages but can muddle through reading 3 others, none of which would be Korean or Japanese...This only means that songs that I find appealing can just be good music to listen to. If the lyrics offend me (and that's difficult, but possible), then I won't listen to it...simple as that... If a musician has true musical talent and creativity, but they use a sexy image, I can live with that (I may not like all they put out, but I'm not a fan of everything that any artist produces). Those that (change their image to sell records, but) don't have the talent to back it up? well...They should be in acting instead of music anyway...

Next up...I don't like J-pop because it's Japanese, nor do I dislike American Pop because it's American. And I don't like Asian pop because it's Asian. I don't particularly consider myself open-minded because I listen to Asian music as well as selected American music. That attitude seems silly to me. If I consider myself open-minded at all, it's because I'm willing to try new things...Then I see how I like them...if they're pleasing to me, I stick with them...But I try things out before I close doors on possibilities...

I've lived in the US my entire life. I've had 22 years of trying out American Pop music...and quite a bit of my experience with the genre could qualify me as a conoisseur of crap...

There are so many artists that don't have the vocal ability of a bullfrog, or the creativity of a brick, and yet they become popular because they put up an image that everyone loves...these people aren't musicians...they're actors/actresses with mics and background music. I'm also not a fan of the artists that can't sing to save their life, and yet their lyrics could comprise a book of passable poetry...well and good, but if you're a musician, you have to have musical talent...

Oddly enough, I like Christina Aguilera, despite her image (I think it's great that she pushes the envelope...Someone needs to)..I think she has got an incredible voice, even if there are songs I'm not particularly fond of. I don't care for Britney Spears' image...It's a horrible example to kids who idolize her. I still like some of her music, despite that image, which in a twisted way, I have to respect, because she is at least pushing limits...I think 98 degrees, N'Sync, and the Backstreet Boys had some amazing harmony...I'm not gonna say I dislike them because of their musical talent. But I will say that I'm not fond of their repetitiveness. I don't care for listening to three songs in a row and thinking they were the same song with different lyrics...again, not my thing...

I dunno...My opinion is if the musical talent is there, and if there is at least effort in trying new things out, I'll listen to it and support them...But if I'm just being fed the same drivel in a new and improved package, spare me my time and don't make me spend energy to change the station...

-Note: Sorry if this makes anybody mad, but it's just an opinion...

Edited by viper92583, 22 January 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#21 JWu

JWu

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

I'm going to move this over to the SD forum.

#22 xx_purple

xx_purple

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Asian Pop is NOT better than American Pop. American Pop is NOT better than Asian pop.

It really depends on your opinion, whichever appeals to you more. Someone says Asian pop is better, that is their opinion, they're not wrong. But they're not right either, because maybe you don't like it. Who knows?

In my opinion, I like American pop(actually, music) better than asian music because I don't like the sound of some asian pop artist or songs i've heard. but that's me. everyone has their own opinion and if someone does say asian pop is better, just say something along the lines "okay, it's your opinion."

#23 weirdnshort

weirdnshort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

it depends on your taste. I haven't listened to the radio lately cuz i'm not into the current american music. i love the late 90s- early millanium. i'm a pop person. I think punk rock/rock is in (haven't turned on the radio for the longest time) and i like listening to ballads/pop.. i find the current korean/mandarin music more suiting to my taste.

i haven't totally turned my back on english music.. i've been listening to Kelly clarkson lately.. she's not bad. but most of the english music i listen to are from a few years ago.

Edited by melonyhappy, 22 January 2006 - 03:18 PM.

#24 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

lol www.xanga.com/myspace/randomblog because you're ranting.

Not to mention it's been discussed to death, stepped on, runover by a 4x4 truck,cremated and thrown into the ocean.

~~~~

On topic, it's all based on your own preferences. If you like anything for that matter, expect some flak from someone. And whether or not you deal with it maturely and ignore it or go spam forums with your important opinion (ahhaha) is entirely up to you.

Edited by Jeffu, 22 January 2006 - 03:30 PM.

#25 Blank

Blank

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

it depends on who you are what your tastes are... for me, if you mean "pop" as in hip-hop and rap, then no i like asian rap and hip-hop better. IMO if it sounds good and it's not satanic music or something then sure i'll listen to it...

#26 Isabella89

Isabella89

Clarissa = future pin-up artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

I hope I don't offend anyone but these singers listed are just examples and are according to my personal oppinion/taste (please don't bash).

It really depends on your personal taste. I don't really care for american pop right now because I think that not enough effort is put into the music. Alot of American pop singers right now are just trying to make money or have the same voice as someone else that's popular. For example Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan, While I admit they have some good songs it seems that one or two are good and the rest are just thrown together so they can sell a cd and make it into the music industry instead of furthering there acting skills. They are also very repetative. Jojo's lyrics appale me when you consider her age, it's just way to shallow to stand. She can sing though, but she sounds like many other singers. Briteny Spears was a pretty big drive behind the american pop seen for a while and has fased out. I can't stand her voice, it's just not good. Though she has some really good songs. Shakira just can't sing. She hurts my ears really bad, and her image (which I think is supposed to be her selling point) is quite boring. So right now the American pop music scene is kind of down. Maybe in a few years though it will pick up. That is why, right now I prefer asian pop music. I like the way the girls look and dress. They are way more glamorous, and right now in America everyone looks really plain (little make up and stringly blond hair with boring clothes that don't match). Asian music videos have alot of choreography or interesting outfits and backrounds. And lets face it, image is a driving force behind pop music. I also like some of the music and voices of asian singers better then some American pop singers. BoA's voice is very good, Utada's is really deep but not too much, Lexy's voice is sexy and uniqe, & Mika Nakashimas voice is really stunning an classy, there is nothing annoying about it & her music is very well done and nice to listen to. I love BoA's videos, they are glamorous and have alot of dancing and there is a good variety of songs that she does. Mika Nakashimas videos are always interesting, Koda Kumi's videos are always a feast for the eyes with the interesting outfits and backrounds. Right now alot of American Pop music videos aren't very innovative, and they all look the same. Not to say American pop music isn't bad. I don't like Maria Carey, but she can really sing. The black eyed peas, while they aren't brilliant they are fun and different. But basically It's all about preference. I like asian pop music better because of the music and image. American pop has just been kind of dull and boring. But if it was Asian rock vs. North American rock I would say American hands down. I adore Marilyn Manson and Slipknot, Tool is just amazing and I really like Velvet Revolver. Asian rock is nothing like that stuff and can get alittle harsh on the ears. So really it depends on what you like with image, voice, and style. Noone is better then the other. There are good points and bad points to both. I just gave why I thought asian pop is better.

Edited by Isabella89, 23 January 2006 - 03:25 PM.

#27 WINNIEE

WINNIEE

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

No one ever said Asian pop was superior to American pop.
I don't see how someone thinks Asian pop is better than American pop though. Doesn't American pop influence Asian pop? :)
It really all depends on someones taste in music. I think when someone says this kind of music is 'better' than another type of music, they mean they like that genre more. Not saying it's superior.

I have to agree with budonkadonk. American pop doesn't seem all that popular like it used to. :/

Again, it really all depends on your taste in music. But to me, none of them are better than the other.

#28 avii_woz_here

avii_woz_here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:14 AM

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing the same crap about why J-Pop is better than American pop. Those of you who're like this have either never heard a lot of Asian pop music or are living in a false world where everything that is Asian is somehow superior and it causes you to lose sight of the truth. I can name Asian aritsts who use sex appeal like Britney Spears, or people who cuss in their lyircs, or people with no vocal ability whatsoever.

edit: Oh, and this isn't meant to be a bashing or hate thread. I'm merely trying to make a point and let you know how foolish music elitism is.

Liking J-pop more doesnt mean EVERY SINGLE ONE of us believe that Asia is better America. I mean...like for example, many people say that DOGS are better than CATS and I've heard their side and I STILL like cats more but I never said cats are better than dogs O.o

point is, loving something doesn't mean it's because it's better than the others. No, every one of us have different likes and dislikes and that's normal. Besides, in almost every culture there are artists who use sex appeal or something, so unless someone acts blind and directly says 'HA!! ASIAN MUSIC IS BETTER BECAUSE blahblahblahblah', we can't really say that people generalize J-pop and American pop because of that.

If you're only assuming people think Asian pop is better just because they like it more, then maybe you should read the other posts eh? Besides, I don't really think ANY of them are better... I don't really care actually. I just like Asian pop more, not because I think we're superior. *in fact, i'm actually thinking we're inferior but whatever we're great wahaha okay joke*

#29 ridiculous

ridiculous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:54 AM

bakabakashi. ridiculous... just like my member name :unsure: this is like saying rap is better than rock or something like that. it's all a matter of personal preference. even if you could argue that asian or american pop is more innovative, unique, etc. than the other, it still doesn't matter. people will like what they like whether you think it is good or not, or whether its technical merits are "good" or not.

#30 Guest_SuYen_*

Guest_SuYen_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

I listen to Western Pop some I like some I dont.

I listen to J-pop some I like some I dont.

I listen to all kinds of music some I like some I HATE.

THE END

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users