Photo

Asian Pop is not better than American pop.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#31 kwonnie

kwonnie

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

I dislike American pop. The reason is I'm abit sick of hearing it. I find its almost nearly the same kinds of tunes with some adjustments(referring to artist voice, always low and trying to act sexy[i never had a taste for sexiness anyway])... and i find american females are the worst. :|

Jpop/Kpop has much more distinct variety. The songs don't sound "similar" (except a few artists....)

Just my 2cents. Oh yea, i prefer american male singers to Japanese males singer though. Asian males singer sounds so geyyyyyyyyyyy

#32 walkthroughme

walkthroughme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:02 AM

i really love me some asian music, but i love american music more.
it has nothing to do with the way the industry sells their artists, or anything like that.
for me it's simply this: i can understand what they are saying, and i can relate to it.
asian pop is fun and i really do love it...
but, sometimes i need a break. i need to listen to a music that i can understand and relate to.
where as asian culture intrests me, i can't forget my own.

#33 dancErica

dancErica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

First of all, music itself is very difficult to determine what is superior and inferior.. Do u think Mozart's musics is better than Bach's?

Asian music (or in this case, Jpop) and American music (pop, rock, country etc. etc) cannot be compared because even when it is only in the "pop" genre, it comes it so many different forms.. (in fact, i think 'pop' music bascially means popular music only.. so rock can be 'pop' at the same time.. the definition of POP MUSIC is not clear/ and constantly changing at first place.. how do you compare something that is changing..... )

I think one can have likeness for a particular type of music, and because of his/her favour for that type of music, he/she will think that it is better.. I think their "better" comes in a sense that they are favouring that type of music, but not in a sense of comparing the 2.. (lol, i think few can get what i mean)

#34 Mikenyhk

Mikenyhk

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:51 AM

you must be an Enya fan.. u just like spiritual church songs or something?? not every artists can perfectly sing like Mariah Carey, Whitney houston and dance like michael jackson or Usher..NO ONE is perfect so shut the *)(()&)( up.. thats life..live with it.. an artist can have no talent n sell XXXX amount of cds.. u can't judge anyone's preference.. if u dont like pop..dont listen to it..

Edited by Mikenyhk, 31 January 2006 - 07:52 AM.

#35 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

you must be an Enya fan.. u just like spiritual church songs or something?? not every artists can perfectly sing like Mariah Carey, Whitney houston and dance like michael jackson or Usher..NO ONE is perfect so shut the *)(()&)( up.. thats life..live with it.. an artist can have no talent n sell XXXX amount of cds.. u can't judge anyone's preference.. if u dont like pop..dont listen to it..

Just like if you don't like someone's opinion,
don't make a fool out of yourself & tell them to "shut the *)(()&)( up" in a Serious Discussions forum.
That's childish & just RUDE. No one else is being so obnoxious, so don't start.

Anyway, I think some people are misunderstanding the issue MiangAmakura is trying to discuss...
She or he means, if you think Asian culture in general is superior to American/Western culture in general, and thus think their music is better than American/Western music, then you need to get yourself out of that silly elitist rut.

That's all good. People can like it better, but some people are liking it better for the wrong reasons and that's the issue.

If I interpreted that wrong, I apologize...
but I don't think we need so many people repeating each other. I'm sure Miang gets your opinions by now.

Edited by Ricadonna, 31 January 2006 - 05:01 PM.

#36 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

uh...wow?lol

I personally choose Jpop over American Pop just because its more colorful. After hearing Madonna so many times *shudder* it gets old. And now even more younger american pop artists are being created,it seems that american pop is for the younger teens and kids. I think America just doesn't take their pop seriously like they used to.

#37 IloveBoA89

IloveBoA89

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

american pop is just about sex, violence, money etc
u almost hear rap, not someone with a real talentful voice.
Asian Pop is unlike that, there is more difference style.
Btw. its just ur opinion not a fact.

#38 Odyism

Odyism

Odyism

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Asian pop is like that also. You just haven't been exposed to it as much. And most American pop songs...are about love...relationships...all those overdone themes :( Just like any type of pop in the world

#39 XTheRealYunaX

XTheRealYunaX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Adding to the comments, regarding your comment.

As a Japanese/Korean Asian, I think that where you come from makes a huge difference in your preference in music. I am Asian, but I was born in the United States, and I love Kelly Clarkson but also love BoA, the same. I think people, not mainly referring to you, have to give everything a chance, not just judge, or think, believe immediately.

Test it out. It might work. :thumbsup:

P.S.-Not to go against my words or anything, especially now that American "pop" artists are going deeper in their lyrics, but Asian artists, I mean, if you can understand what they are saying in their own language then you will see why some people say that "Asian Pop is better than American pop." not only is the music original but also the lyrics.

#40 Jakalope'sBoy

Jakalope'sBoy

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:18 AM

I concur with Ricadonna and Odyism.

Admittedly, I do have a fascination with Asian culture and I'm inclined to Asians in many ways. It's the grass is greener on the other side concept. BoA seems to have an obssession of her own with America and American music.

#41 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

I'm a hiphop person...rap is a branch off of it. Theres always a hidden message in hiphop thats actually good. But now? Man...its corrupted, its about drugs,sex,women,cars,shoes...whatever. Its more about being materialistic. Old school was the thing back then, when people didn't only care about the beats, but they also cared for the words. I stick to old school now because of that, theres few rappers that keep the tradition.

Theres always going to be something wrong with the way music is played. Whether it be in a different language, or different genre.

#42 Winged_Weltall

Winged_Weltall

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

miangakamura, i dont like american pop too much. i like the style of jpop better, but you cant say "american pop is better and thats a fact!" because its an opinion. if you like american pop better, thats cool 4 u

#43 MiangAmakura

MiangAmakura

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

miangakamura, i dont like american pop too much. i like the style of jpop better, but you cant say "american pop is better and thats a fact!" because its an opinion. if you like american pop better, thats cool 4 u

That's not what I said. I said that one was not better than the other.

#44 sgwannabe

sgwannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

eeeh...i don't know.. Lately I have been listening to ONLY asian music so american music is like HUH? to me. I have to say that most of american songs are kindof repetitive..I mean when you turn on a famous radio station, you will know what I mean by the constant replaying of the same songs, until FINALLY a new song comes up. :hug: But I now listen to only mainly k-pop and j-pop and c-pop so american music has just "flown" from my mind.

#45 Jakalope'sBoy

Jakalope'sBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:02 AM

I also think a lot of people like Asian pop music better than American pop music is because it allows persons to attach their own meaning to songs. Most people don't bother or don't have access to translations with Asian music so people can create their own visions while singing a song and it relies on perception and feelings; as opposed to American songs where feelings are already explained causing a lack of interpretation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users