135 replies to this topic

#106 grrrrrace

grrrrrace

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

This thread is getting very... interesting. I'm a Christian, but I'm still very tolerant of other religions, and I don't cross people's limits when it comes to religion. But some comments on this board are going a bit too far.
I would hate to think that certain people on this board are antagonizing ALL Christians?

Edited by grrrrrace, 24 February 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#107 <3 BoA <3

<3 BoA <3

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

i hate u god!! u didnt give me the bike i wanted!! oh wait... thats santa.

#108 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

i hate u god!! u didnt give me the bike i wanted!! oh wait... thats santa.

Serious Discussions requires that you "only post if you have something constructive to offer to the discussion."
Which would mean no joking or stupid statements like that. : ) Or did you fail to see the word "Serious"?

#109 JWu

JWu

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

This is where people are getting offended. You don't have to be a religious whackjob to be offended by this comment. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion but I don't think it is necessary to say that. If you're asking all these questions to disprove His existence obviously you don't know or understand Him, so why would you say someone sucks that you don't know?

It was a sarcastic reply meant to counterpoint SuYen's post that was directly above mine. Read the two posts together before you judge me so quickly. Besides, I've repeatedly stated that I DO believe in God.

Also, religion is faith based and science is logic based. The two are polar opposites so why argue? Faith works against logic, and logic works against faith. I find the most well-balanced people are those who can incorporate the two with certain issues and aspects. Someone who only relies on logic, is whackjob in his or her own right because science cannot explain everything (and for the most part science theorizes). Those who only rely on religion are whackjobs as well because they have to question some things in order to see outside their scope.

Again, religion and faith are two sides of the same equation. IF faith and logic work against each other, then WHY are there Christian doctors? Why are there astrophysicists who are Muslim? Etc. and etc. The answer is that they can both serve to support each other's philosophies. Science provides the explanation, faith provides the means to reach that explanation, i.e., the motivation.

Also, we don't even understand ourselves half of the time, so how can we even fathom to try to understand God?

We try to understand God, because that's all life is, a strive for perfection. It's not the end that matters, but the journey. Yeah, I'm using cliches, so sue me. It's all about the "try."

#110 Artius

Artius

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

God sucks.
Am I dead yet?
Nope.

Still here.

Mmk. All you religious whackjobs should be shot.
(Before you bash me, I do believe in a supreme being, in a God, but not the way the so-called "major religions" portray God as. I am a Deist.)
edit: Look at me, I can paste quotes too. Woot!

"The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy."
-George Washington

Thomas Jefferson
"One day the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in the United States will tear down the artificial scaffolding of Christianity. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

James Madison
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise"

Benjamin Franklin
"If we look back into history for the character of present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practised it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England, blamed persecution in the Roman church, but practised it against the Puritans: these found it wrong in the Bishops, but fell into the same practice themselves both here and in New England."

Thomas Paine
"My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Refering to ur insult to religous people, I hope you burn in hell. If this were the times of the inquisition, I would be the audience who's clapping as they drown you.

Refering to the quotes, ur quotes are meaningless, its just a bunch of people who wants to practise the freedom of religon (which your insult is against). It has no relation to the quotes originally posted. Obviously, your mind is so full of hatred that the first response to anyone with a spiritual belief other than urs is an insult.
I will not insult your Deism, if it is your believe, so be it, i respect it. All I'm asking is that you extend the same courtesy to the rest of the people here on the forum.

#111 JWu

JWu

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

Refering to ur insult to religous people, I hope you burn in hell. If this were the times of the inquisition, I would be the audience who's clapping as they drown you.

Refering to the quotes, ur quotes are meaningless, its just a bunch of people who wants to practise the freedom of religon (which your insult is against). It has no relation to the quotes originally posted. Obviously, your mind is so full of hatred that the first response to anyone with a spiritual belief other than urs is an insult.
I will not insult your Deism, if it is your believe, so be it, i respect it. All I'm asking is that you extend the same courtesy to the rest of the people here on the forum.

So things that George Washington & Thomas Jefferson say are meaningless? Should we not need to learn from our history in order to have a better future?

I insulted religious whackjobs, NOT religious people.

Are you a religious whackjob?

I'd be happy to discuss Deism with you, so go ahead, take your gloves off and make your points. Most of the members on this forum agree with my comments in this thread (according to the feedback that I've been getting from this thread, as well as PMs and IMs). Again, I'm only insulting people who take a literary work literally, the same people who would deny a blood transfusion to a child because it conflicted with their religious beliefs, the same individuals who would put a bullet between my eyes because I do not subscribe myself to a particular religion.

#112 BoAyu

BoAyu

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:17 PM

okay, I read about half of this and got sick of it.

God never said "Thou shalt not sin or I shall send a lightning bolt of fury at thou and barbeque thou to smithereens.” Yes, that’s a rather strange generalization, but you know what I mean.

Why are all of the Christians in this board saying “It was their time” or “They died because they disobeyed God”? Just because it was “their time” doesn’t mean it was God’s time for them. And if God killed off people for sinning, what’s the point of Jesus and the cross? What about salvation? You are completely contradicting your faith. Plus if that were the case, God would’ve killed me off years ago.

If God loves us, wouldn’t he take care of us? I’ve been in more than one life or death situations, and I think the reason I survived is because God saved me. I’ve seen miracles. I’ve seen God’s grace. All throughout the Bible you will find scriptures about God’s protection. God promised protection for those who followed him. That doesn’t mean everyone who isn’t will be killed off; it means they don’t have his protection.

How do I explain it? Picture this: three children are playing outside. Their mother tells them they shouldn’t play in the street. One child believes his mother is right and they should do what their mother says so they can be safe, two children don’t. One of the kids who doesn’t runs into the street and gets hit by a car, the other two are fine. Even though one believed in what their mother said was right and one didn’t, they are both safe.

Am I making any sense…?

As for the religious whackjob statement, I agree. Note he (she? sorry) said WHACKJOB. The only reason you should take offence to that is if you are one. And yes, I’m a born again Jesus freak. But there are people that do cross the line between ‘faith’ and ‘insanity’. There are hypocrites and liars and people who are just total and complete idiots.

I came in here thinking I was going to debate with atheists or something. And here I’m arguing with other Christians. About God.

*sigh*

#113 Soluna

Soluna

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

Whoa now!

That's a bit extreme and unnesscary. Again, Where is everyone getting the whole "JWu calling reglious people whackjobs!"? The comment was made towards people use relgion as tool to gain wealth and power. The ones who rape women and say, "It was act of god that I rape you." That's the whack job JWu was refering to, not someone who into it for spritual reasons. So again, Please read the whole thing fully before you go insult-mode.

#114 grrrrrace

grrrrrace

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

Honestly, both parties are getting a bit too extreme. There will always be religious zionists and hardcore athiests and whatnot, and everybody is misinterpreting each other and constantly butting heads.

What's really bothering me is the fact that some people are saying "All Christians are crazy" and "All Athiests are dumb" and other irrelevant comments. Some people have lost total respect for each other, and this is where some people should consider being more tolerant, to be a bit more polite.

But what can I say, you all are entitled to free speech.

#115 ilovedbsk

ilovedbsk

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

im not sure about this i think its all a coincidence i agree wtih Jwu you wouldnt call nething a coincidence if weird things dont happen...

^ agreed its getting a little bit overboard respect peoples comments and dont make a joke out of it and people who make comments, think b4 you say something!

Edited by ilovedbsk, 09 March 2006 - 09:26 AM.

#116 drummakidd

drummakidd

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• BoAjjang Translator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

If God loves us, wouldn’t he take care of us? I’ve been in more than one life or death situations, and I think the reason I survived is because God saved me. I’ve seen miracles. I’ve seen God’s grace. All throughout the Bible you will find scriptures about God’s protection. God promised protection for those who followed him. That doesn’t mean everyone who isn’t will be killed off; it means they don’t have his protection.

How do I explain it? Picture this: three children are playing outside. Their mother tells them they shouldn’t play in the street. One child believes his mother is right and they should do what their mother says so they can be safe, two children don’t. One of the kids who doesn’t runs into the street and gets hit by a car, the other two are fine. Even though one believed in what their mother said was right and one didn’t, they are both safe.

I completely agree with you.

Here's one thing to answer that VERY first question JWu brought up: if you drank something laced with arsenic would be protected? Depends. If you're just being stupid and testing God (i.e. drinking something you know is poisonous of your own will) or if God can use that experience of protecting you to help show others (or being coerced to drink it). Either way there's a possibility of dying. Even the Bible says: Do not test God. There's an example shown when Jesus is tempted by Satan in the desert for 40 days. Satan said to jump off a cliff because it is written in the scriptures that you will be protected. Jesus told Satan, "It is also written: Do not test God". Basically its the same thing.

I've seen a lot of miracles and God's grace at work. People say the Bible is contradictory but the Old Testament and the New Testament show the same thing. God's unconditional love.

#117 tokyo_honey

tokyo_honey

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

i think these things are just coicindences.
things happen, you never know.
didnt some guy hate the beatles member and he shot him?
didnt marilyn die from an overdose?

#118 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

^ Well, according to some of the "whackjobs" people in this thread...
God apparently made someone murder & another commit suicide.

#119 Sticky

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

We try to understand God, because that's all life is, a strive for perfection. It's not the end that matters, but the journey. Yeah, I'm using cliches, so sue me. It's all about the "try."

It's not about strive for perfection, it's the search for meaning. :D

Viktor Frankl says it clearly enough too.

Edited by Sticky, 09 March 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#120 fallchildren

fallchildren

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

So you condone the use of church-sanctioned torture and execution to silence religious dissenters? Now that's a scary thought.

My two cents on
god - Why should god even exist? The Greeks believed in Zeus and the rest of the gang on Mt Olympus. The Aztecs believed in Tezcatlipoca and Quetzalcoatl. And yet, in this day and age, they're nothing more than an amusing anecdote in history textbooks. Why should this god (or Allah, Buddha, whatever) be any different than Athena or Thor? Religion is a fad; people believe in a god until he/she/it becomes unpopular or irrelevant and is replaced by another all-powerful incarnation.
religion - Religion does more harm than good. As mentioned before, religion often directly contributes to the cause of wars, violent conflicts, torture and death. Examples include the Crusades, the Salem Witch Hunt, enslavement of Africans, the KKK, the IRA's conflict with the British, and the events of September 11th. Coupled with the recent unveiling of pedophilic preists, I have to say that while religion often has good intentions, it is ultimately the cause for more pain and unrest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users