• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#121 Sticky

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

So you condone the use of church-sanctioned torture and execution to silence religious dissenters? Now that's a scary thought.

My two cents on
god - Why should god even exist? The Greeks believed in Zeus and the rest of the gang on Mt Olympus. The Aztecs believed in Tezcatlipoca and Quetzalcoatl. And yet, in this day and age, they're nothing more than an amusing anecdote in history textbooks. Why should this god (or Allah, Buddha, whatever) be any different than Athena or Thor? Religion is a fad; people believe in a god until he/she/it becomes unpopular or irrelevant and is replaced by another all-powerful incarnation.
religion - Religion does more harm than good. As mentioned before, religion often directly contributes to the cause of wars, violent conflicts, torture and death. Examples include the Crusades, the Salem Witch Hunt, enslavement of Africans, the KKK, the IRA's conflict with the British, and the events of September 11th. Coupled with the recent unveiling of pedophilic preists, I have to say that while religion often has good intentions, it is ultimately the cause for more pain and unrest.

Well, back then. People were stupid, they needed something to look to. The only people who were educated were priests.

#122 cerk

cerk

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

All the religions are the Same!!
the only different is the NAME.
take off the label , stick together like a human. Gods who cannot accept this way are not God. well, am i correct?? Gods is good, if they prompt war or disaster, they r not God. because, God is good.

#123 fallchildren

fallchildren

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

Well, back then. People were stupid, they needed something to look to. The only people who were educated were priests.

Some of the events I mentioned happened recently: the IRA/British conflicts occured in the 1970s and 80s. The September 11th attacks occured in 2001. Israel has an ongoing conflict with Palestinians, as do the Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq. God's Army staged attacks in Burma in the 1990s and early 2000, same with many other Christian oriented terrorists in Africa (Uganda for example). Violence based on religion is by no means relegated to the distant past.

Edited by fallchildren, 11 March 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#124 Sticky

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

Some of the events I mentioned happened recently: the IRA/British conflicts occured in the 1970s and 80s. The September 11th attacks occured in 2001. Israel has an ongoing conflict with Palestinians, as do the Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq. God's Army staged attacks in Burma in the 1990s and early 2000, same with many other Christian oriented terrorists in Africa (Uganda for example). Violence based on religion is by no means relegated to the distant past.

Well, it is a way to get people to motivate people into doing things.

#125 Sal

Sal

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

I think those are just coincadinces.(sp?) I'm still alive after all. :P

I find religion as a means for some people to find comfort.

Edited by Sal, 16 March 2006 - 09:43 PM.

#126 Jakalope'sBoy

Jakalope'sBoy

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

Again, religion and faith are two sides of the same equation. IF faith and logic work against each other, then WHY are there Christian doctors? Why are there astrophysicists who are Muslim? Etc. and etc. The answer is that they can both serve to support each other's philosophies. Science provides the explanation, faith provides the means to reach that explanation, i.e., the motivation.

They are polar opposites but who conforms to extremities? Even if things work against each other there is generally a medium. There is no such thing as a "smart" person because that smart person is capable and will make dumb choices throughout his or her life. Despire the fact that smart works against dumb. Which is why it is possible for a doctor to be Christian. Humans are generally in the middle of things and in some areas feel greater about one thing than the other.

Does a sinning Christian, taken in face value, make sense? No.

So the idea of good and evil don't even exist because they both can commit actions contrary to their titles. "Good and evil don't exist. It doesn't contradict."

#127 PunkMama

PunkMama

Who's BoA?

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Religion is just a way of comfort. It's stupid. You do not need it at all in your life. Take responsibilities for your own actions. The bad things that happen to you are not God's punishment. Get a reality check and relinquish yourself from religion. All it does is hold you back from things you want to do (generally bad things), make you think about death and poop, and make you sound stupid when you preach about it. Truth hurts doesn't it?

#128 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

^ And preaching poop about other people's personal beliefs are isn't stupid either? Hmm.

#129 JWu

JWu

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

Using the word poop to make your point makes you full of poop. :D (er not you ricadonna, the guy above you) Then again, the username is 'punkmama'. I do agree with some of what he said, though I probably wouldn't have said it in that way.

#130 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

Pwned. :x

You pretty much did say something to that effect, JWu, but ... more intelligently. Or rather, more maturely.

#131 Black_BoA_Gal786

Black_BoA_Gal786

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

I don't mean to diss you guys but.....are you wackjobs or what? everybody has thier own opinion on God, God isn't real to some people, i.e. me, I belive in only my ancestors watching over me, perfect example. Just because your mortified by it dosn't mean eyerybody else should. So some people dissed the sole prophet of Christianity, so what? it's a free country, thier speaking thier mind, I wouldn't mind talking trash if sombody started telling me about 'God' and whatnot. I'm saying all this because I hate prostitizing/preaching, it's so irratating for me, I'm Wiccan, and I'm a peaceful girl, but this is one of my turnoffs.

#132 Xyphion

Xyphion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

I don't mean to diss you guys but.....are you wackjobs or what?

First of all, the initial topic of this thread is straight stupid. Secondly, I also hate it when people people fit me into their Christian stereotype without actually knowing me as an individual. I'm not a charismatic but I'm a wackjob now? Why is it okay to diss a Christian and when they respond they are immediately slapped with a "Don't preach at me"? Why have I been called a bigot when no one first listens to my personal views which don't necessarily match everything within pop-Chistianity? Does that make you a bigot then? Most of my friends are not Christian and I don't have a problem with that, and they don't have a problem with me. The reason being because we know each other as people and when it ever comes to faith, we are open. Like you say, everyone has their own opinion so why are you so quick to shoot things at a group which is actually quite diverse? I say we give the floor to individuals before firing insults. This is one of my turnoffs.

Edited by Xyphion, 30 March 2006 - 10:32 PM.

#133 Black_BoA_Gal786

Black_BoA_Gal786

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

First of all, the initial topic of this thread is straight stupid. Secondly, I also hate it when people people fit me into their Christian stereotype without actually knowing me as an individual. I'm not a charismatic but I'm a wackjob now? Why is it okay to diss a Christian and when they respond they are immediately slapped with a "Don't preach at me"? Why have I been called a bigot when no one first listens to my personal views which don't necessarily match everything within pop-Chistianity? Does that make you a bigot then? Most of my friends are not Christian and I don't have a problem with that, and they don't have a problem with me. The reason being because we know each other as people and when it ever comes to faith, we are open. Like you say, everyone has their own opinion so why are you so quick to shoot things at a group which is actually quite diverse? I say we give the floor to individuals before firing insults. This is one of my turnoffs.

no, I meant wackjobs as in I don't know why you guys are making such a big deal out of somthing that happends on the regular basis, exatly what is the big deal here? all I see is people saying what they think.

#134 Xyphion

Xyphion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

^My fault..a slight misunderstanding. It wasn't directed towards you. I took it out of context for a reason. I guess I'm just kind of frustrated that things like this can negatively shape others perception of me based on my religious category. Just want others to know that not everyone's like that.

Edited by Xyphion, 30 March 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#135 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

I don't mean to diss you guys but.....are you wackjobs or what? everybody has thier own opinion on God, God isn't real to some people, i.e. me, I belive in only my ancestors watching over me, perfect example. Just because your mortified by it dosn't mean eyerybody else should. So some people dissed the sole prophet of Christianity, so what? it's a free country, thier speaking thier mind, I wouldn't mind talking trash if sombody started telling me about 'God' and whatnot. I'm saying all this because I hate prostitizing/preaching, it's so irratating for me, I'm Wiccan, and I'm a peaceful girl, but this is one of my turnoffs.

Mm, nope, I am not a religious whackjob, by JWu's definition.
& I was getting "mortified" (by your definition anyway, because seems you used it wrong) because PunkMama immaturely stated her opinion. & if this bothers you, & you can say something about it, how come everyone else can't?

PunkMama seemed hypocritical, and now you do too. :x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users