62 replies to this topic

#16 pimpcess04360

pimpcess04360

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

ya unfortunately appearance is very important these days cuz we live in a superficial world.

#17 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

^ (Your replies should have more substance) It's not necessarily a "superficial" world we live in; it's just a judgemental one. It's human nature -- people have always been like this. Judging people based on appearances can be considered a defense mechanism.

#18 Jakalope'sBoy

Jakalope'sBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Looks are important, but they don't matter in the end. Looks get your
foot in the door, or they don't give you a chance. If you look the part,
you'll get the opportunity to show off your personality. If you look out
of place, you won't get to open your mouth.

This is one of the most pragmatic views posted. I also feel relieved that you didn't correlate good looking with bad behaviour.

As I said before this is a con about good looks; is the attention.

They have to live with the stigma that they are already bad and inconsiderate people. Added with the fact that more attention is received because of their looks. Which means the majority of people, because pulchritudinous people are a minority, see good looking people as morally bankrupt or internally ugly.

Moreover, this means any actions they commit that fits to people's ideas about good looks equals bad will falsely confirm this is what good looking people are about. Thus making the good actions undermined.

So as much as the beautiful are admired they already have a heap of unconcious haters.

Even more so, you have someone who is good looking than you have someone else who is extremely good looking. That will naturally make the good looking person feel inadequate. But since these people are both genetically superior their best arsenal is confidence because confidence postively increases and enhances a person's look and gives them a stronger drawing power.

Edited by Jakalope'sBoy, 15 February 2006 - 01:42 PM.

#19 kaminokami2086

kaminokami2086

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

People say looks don't matter. but the first thing you observe before yo approach someone is their apperance. So unless you fall for a friend, looks will be the first thing that attracts you. So looks do matter. Also everyone has their preference, some of my friends find some girls to be hot when I don't see it. So its a matter of you perception of beauty. For example their are some guys who like skinny, thick, or husky woman. It all a matter of personal taste.

#20 lacus

lacus

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

there's the beautiful people...and then everyone else. Take a look at what I just said. The beautiful people. Right off the bat they get more acknowledgement which is really sad.
They have an advantage. No one can deny that. I'm not saying that they don't have feelings. Both types of people should be treated equally.
But it's not like this at all. We shouldn't be categorized like this.
You can only see a true person by getting to know them.
beautiful or not.
Yet some of us don't even get the chance because we're pushed away because we're not up to the standards.
Please make the childishness stop!

#21 Guest_SuYen_*

Guest_SuYen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

It's human nature --

Unfortunately thats the sad part about us... We get triggered easily by everything we see. Things are pretty unbalanced in this world and pretty hard to handle.

#22 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Unfortunately thats the sad part about us... We get triggered easily by everything we see. Things are pretty unbalanced in this world and pretty hard to handle.

Without it humans would probably be far worse off than we are now. (If you want to be cynical about the world & humanity, that is.) I don't think it's a bad thing; yes, beautiful people have advantages, and yes, it pisses ugly/average/low-self-esteem-issued people off. It's unfair, yes. But if we didn't have that ability to judge based on appearances, you would affiliate with people you wouldn't normally affiliate with. And we'd all be identity-less. Appearance establishes identity, personality, self-regard, etc. Without it, we're just another face in the crowd, nothing distinguishing us.

Edited by Ricadonna, 15 February 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#23 grrrrrace

grrrrrace

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

It really depends. Some people set superficiality as their first priority, and I guess that's their loss.

#24 Hazo<3

Hazo<3

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:27 AM

I think looks are imporant to me because i dont think am attractive =__= i hate it cos i always envy others

#25 b_o_a

b_o_a

kJJ's Front Teeth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

i think looks are really important, to me, i can hardly judge people from their appearance, unless they're my close friend.

#26 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

I think its good to think of looks as important. Its like getting a job or an interview, you wouldn't want a dirty bum-looking person working in an office. It doesn't look professional. Looks are important when getting a job and being successful in the world now.

#27 Isabella89

Isabella89

Clarissa = future pin-up artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

Pretty important. You can sometimes tell by looking at a person what type of person they maybe, and they also are a big part of being attracted to someone. At the same time looks are only skin deep, and if you are rotten to the core as a person it will eventually show on your face and people won't care how beautiful you are as a person. They are fairly important but not the be all and end all. You can also tell a persons priorities by looking at them, and you can no ahead of time if you should run.

#28 Seojin

Seojin

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

yes, looks does matter, but to some people it doesn't....it won't matter if you know the person ....everyone is different in this world....boys find a girl with the right features and some find the good personalities.. such as...some guys find girls who look pretty and attractive....but the girl could be mean...other guys just find a girl with a good personality...but the girl won't look very pretty

pretty girls could be mean and nice at the same time...you just don't know.....you can't judge anyone because of their looks.....
they could look pretty and be mean..and they could be ugly, but they're nicer than the evil one...

#29 qxsnoexp

qxsnoexp

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

referring to a post earlier about how probably most people here heard the quote "don't judge a bokk by it's cover." that is taught to almost everyone nowadays but its easier said than done. i tell myself not to do it but sometimes, i just find myself doing the exact thing that i told myself not to do. its kind of sad, really. for me, at school, if u want to b cool, u would buy abercrombie, hollister, american eagle, aeropostale, etc etc. if u buy those clothes, u qould b "accepted" as "one of them."
personally i think its really sad. u haf to spend $60 to buy a sweater from abercrombie when u are really just buying the brand name.
so around where i live, its not really how you look but how you dress. i find it pointless that being just a student, u haf to spend all these money on these expensive clothing. and the fashion industry is basically promoting it.
its true that u dress to impress but is it really necessary for high school students to do that? its just school you're going to. u dunt need $40 jeans. i could go to a different store and get one for one-third the price. they r all the same. and im not directing this at all the people here that might wear these brands but really, is it NECESSARY to spend $50 on a polo? or $40 on jeans? or $60 on a zip-up sweater that could b ruined easily?
not everyone is rich. most students don't have a salary and even if they do, its not much.
ok...i pretty much said what i have to say. phew...that was good.

#30 4tang

4tang

BoA Project Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

no matter what anyone says, looks are ESSENTIAL in today's society. what people DONT realize is that looks arent going to get you everything in the world. for me...i want to change some aspects of my physical self, to enhance features. not because i feel ugly, not because i dont think im good enough, but because looks matter. i dont plan on relying on my looks, but maybe using it as an extra booster. people that rely on looks have a deadly outcome. joan rivers for one. there is ALWAYS going to be someone prettier someone younger someoen better. i think looks are important in maybe helping with a boost, but not to answer all your questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users