Photo

How important are looks, really?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Looks are everything for a fact. I think I posted this here a long time ago but oh well. People don't see your personality when they first meet you. They see your looks. No one wants an ugly singer, or celeb. If your a dirty looking bum, then chances are people are going to stay away from you, regardless if you are a kind hearted person.

Let the argument begin :thumbsup:

#62 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

None of that matters because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or in other words, subjective :thumbsup:

Beauty being subjective isn't what's being discussed -- beauty in general, is.
And it does matter. But my reply was the first one, and it's still my argument.

#63 光の世界

光の世界

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:40 AM

Beauty being subjective isn't what's being discussed -- beauty in general, is.
And it does matter. But my reply was the first one, and it's still my argument.

Maybe, but beauty in general is subjective as well. It does matter, but there is no general idea as to what makes something beautiful. You can argue about how first impressions based on appearance will decide a lot (hygiene, dress, body language, etc.), but what about those that don't seem to have a very good score to any of those? Why are there still people that find THEM to be visually attractive (and possibly, personality-wise?)

What is beauty then? People being shallow sets a norm, and then when a majority has an idea of what beauty is, anyone that doesn't match their image, is not beautiful?

Confidence itself can also be a fraud. An act. An external face put on to fool people. You can't tell if someone is genuinely confident, or just pretending to be. But because people are attracted to confidence, people can act as if they are confident just for the sake of attracting people.

I have to admit, I tend to be attracted to good-looking people, but it's not solely based on looks. You can sort of determine someone's personality BASED on how they look/act, but that's as far as you can go with first impressions. But then what I perceive may be different from yours.

In the end, beauty is still subjective, because the whole concept in itself is subjective. You can say WHAT makes someone beautiful, but that wouldn't apply to everyone, so it would be an endless discussion as to what beauty really is. White-girl look? I never understood what made them so pretty. I always thought korean and japanese women had such elegance.

Edited by 光の世界, 02 August 2006 - 05:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users