#1 bluechick126

bluechick126

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

According to www.dictionary.com, love is:

A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

But, is that really what love is? What is love to YOU? This is what I think about love...

I hate it when people say, "You're too young to know what love is." To me, I think that even if you are a mere 5 years old, you can still be in what you call 'love' at the time. You may be in love then, but as you grow older, the way you think about things changes. You think back to that time and realize it was just a puny crush compared to what you think love is now. I think that all those small little crushes you thought were love just helps you learn about what love really is. Different people see love as different things.

There's some people I know that say that they love somebody.. but when it comes to the idea of a relationship, they always say they're "scared to take a risk." But isn't falling in love already a risk in a way? Even if you're not a couple, if you know the one you love starts to love someone else, your heart will still break. So why not take the risk? I sure don't see why not. Even if in the end it doesn't work out, you'll have all the memories to get you through. Sometimes it seems like the end of the world when somebody breaks up with you, but it isn't. Just think back to all the happy memories you guys shared, and use that as motivation to make new memories with somebody else. It's like the saying, "You'll never know until you try."

I think I kinda went off topic.. well anyways, I just wanted to know what you guys think about love and all this kind of stuff. -_-

#2 Jakalope'sBoy

Jakalope'sBoy

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:08 PM

Very few people know what true love is. I separate the terms love and true love because the idea we have of 'love' today results in divorce and adultery. Love is ephemeral. I cannot elucidate on what true love is as I am incognizant of what it encompasses. I will explain love laconically.

In general love is an emotion. Emotions inhibit cognitive objectivity. Therefore love is irrational and serves no intelligent function.

#3 andros

andros

pretty fly.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

donghae. hahaha

love is when you can't live without that person
that's what it is to me anyways
simple as that
someone you would risk everything for

#4 -Rikku-

-Rikku-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

To me, love is an emotion. But then again, I've never been in love before. :x
And I don't think true love really exists. Is it possible to love someone /that/ much?

#5 Leeborghini

Leeborghini

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

hmmmm.......... love is when you love a person's present, past, and future..... love for a person is when you can't stop thinking about them... love is those little things they do which make you smile :o??... i don't know much about love really...... never had a partner.

Edited by Leeborghini, 27 May 2006 - 05:34 PM.

#6 minjoo

minjoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

To me Love is something that is not to be understood unless you experience it and feel it.

Love is everywhere though. and its something thats very hard to describe in words. But more in actions.

#7 kaminokami2086

kaminokami2086

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

someone I'm willing to die for.

#8 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

Very few people know what true love is.

Given what I have read before, and a bit of my personal opinion, there are two types of love. The first is when you marry someone, or meet someone who you become very attracted to. You begin to think irrationally at times, and are willing to take risks you wouldn't normally take. This pretty much happens due to ~lol chemical in da brain which I can't remember~, which if all goes well results in: kids.

The latter would be the more subtle love you feel for a person, the kind that you see in the people married 20 years, or the ones that stay together from marriage till death.

I really should scan that article from my National Geographic magazine~ very interesting read, or an enlightening one if you believe it. Which I do~ I think I will scan it in. If anyone wants to read it just PM me.

I hate it when people say, "You're too young to know what love is."

For you to even believe you understand love is proof enough that you don't.

Edited by Jeffu, 27 May 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#9 confusedkhmai

confusedkhmai

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

Love to me means someone you can't live without. Thinking about that person constantly.

I really hate the fact that when using the word love; it automatically means to them is sex.

Edited by confusedkhmai, 27 May 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#10 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

I really hate the fact that when use the word love; it automatically means to them is sex.

That's pretty much the reason love exists.

#11 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

To me, love is an emotion. But then again, I've never been in love before. :x
And I don't think true love really exists. Is it possible to love someone /that/ much?

I think it is. ^.^ You have to see & "understand" both the good and bad in a person to truly love them.

To me Love is something that is not to be understood unless you experience it and feel it.

Love is everywhere though. and its something thats very hard to describe in words. But more in actions.

I agree with you!

I don't think love can, or should be defined. That sort of limits love for some.
Zhang Yimou [director, House of Flying Daggers] said: "Love is Love. Once you define it, it is no longer love."
There are so many different types of love!
Love is what it is. I can't define what it means to me, because that is something beyond my reach. It's something great though. something great and terribly wonderful.

#12 Kiyana

Kiyana

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

which if all goes well results in: kids.

It's not as straight forward as that :wub: In many relationships children are not the "ultimate" goal.
(btw. I'd be interested in that National Geographic article, if you've scanned it)

I really hate the fact that when using the word love; it automatically means to them is sex.

That's pretty much the reason love exists.

Yeah, if we go all black and white, the only purpose for attraction is to have sex and produce offspring. However, people developed feelings somewhere along the line and it isn't all that simple ^_^

In romantic love, sex and intimacy are definately a very important part of a relationship. A serious and long term relationship or marridge without sex sounds... grey or even loveless *gasp* ^_^ (Just to make myself clear, I'm not rushing anyone to have sex, I'm talking about mature relationships here)

Ok, I can't speak for married couples, but right now I think true love is the companionship that forms throughout the years of being together. When romance and intimacy have mostly faded into memories and you still want to stay with that person. It's when you're old and grey, sitting on the porch with your love, laughing at life and the world, never regretting a thing.

#13 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

scanned~

[Link]

The page numbers might seem to skip a few, that's because there were pictures that weren't really that relevant to scan.

It's not as straight forward as that In many relationships children are not the "ultimate" goal.

That could be because humans in general have evolved enough to not be slaves to their 'primitive' desires. I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Edited by Jeffu, 28 May 2006 - 02:03 PM.

#14 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:34 PM

^ No, I agree with you.

Many emotions we've become accustomed to talking about or living are things that aren't necessarily instinct for us. Someone can survive without feeling the emotion of "love" but it's basic animal instinct to mate. Love is something you're exposed to, to varying degrees, in your life, and it's importance has become skewed (for better or for worse) in modern society.

Anyway, I would like to think love is being able to put someone above everything else in your life, even yourself.

There are varying degrees of love; but I've never been in love, so I can't say this with any real conviction.

However... Your perception of love changes as you grow older. Maybe love in capital letters is confusing, and is a mess if you get older or find it in the wrong people, but as a child or when you're innocent, it seems simple and inevitable... So I won't disagree when parents say teenagers are too young to know what love is. When you're ready to get married to the right person for you, you'll probably be several years older than when you found your 'first love' and you'll know (almost) exactly what you're looking for in someone to spend your life with, and what you want to leave out of your relationship.

I'm cynical though, so I have to end this with a more rational & 'unbiased' view (my desire for a love that's portrayed in anime fairytales). I don't think love is eternal; you can love someone with all your heart, but if your heart/emotions are unable to be controlled in that way, then I think it'd be fairly easy to fall in love with someone else and continue that trend for possibly your whole life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the end, love won't make you a 100% selfless person, living only to please your partner. You're still human and instinct overwhelms logic and basically man-made emotion sometimes, and you - subconciously - are still going to be your foremost concern. Whatever you define as 'love' isn't going to change that.

. . . says the girl who's never been in love <_<

Edited by Ricadonna, 28 May 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#15 bluechick126

bluechick126

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

For you to even believe you understand love is proof enough that you don't.

I'm not saying I completely understand it. It's just that when people say that kids and young people don't know what love is, I think they're wrong. Different people see love as different things. I don't believe that there is one definition for love that everyone should follow. I see love as something that anybody can witness and feel. When you're a kid and you say that you're in love, people might call you stupid, naive, retarded, etc. But I think everyone has their own right to what they think love is. Even if you're 10 years old, you could think you're completely in love with someone at the time, but other people would just see it as a crush. Different people see it as different things. This is just what you see love as, and this is what I see it as.

Of course that's just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users