80 replies to this topic

#1 boa_fan929

boa_fan929

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

As many of you know, the current Middle East conflict/problem is beginning to escalate with Hezbollah saying that this 'open war' is 'just the beginning' (Heard these from CNN).

So what are your opinions on this? Are the attacks by Israel proportionate to the hostage taking of the Israeli soldiers? Can this conflict be resolved diplomatically? And should the US (+possibly the other G8 members) have to step in? Or should this just be left to the hands of Israel? What about the role of the UN?

I think the Israeli side has been a bit unproportionate in this conflict, I never would have thought they would attack Hezbollah especially since they are in a different country. I also think this can only be resolved diplomatically with the help of the US restraining Israel from the attacks. And about the UN, it seems rather ineffective. There is almost always deadlock between member states, even on the 3 most important issues today (North Korea, Iran and this), so I can't see them do much for these conflicts.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

#2 apathy1234

apathy1234

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

so that this will end better bush to live the middle east alone, dont be so greedy.... :D

#3 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:34 PM

It's such a frightening situation there right now, and with a President who bombs first and thinks later, I don't know what's going to happen. I'd feel a whole lot safer right now, if Bill Clinton were still in the White House. At least he TRIED negotiations. :D

#4 Ashkali أس

Ashkali أس

We can stop racism together!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:37 AM

I'm very appalled by what Israel is doing, for just 2 kidnapped and 6 killed Israeli soldiers they kill around 50 innocent Lebanese civilians who had nothing to do with this. If this bombing spreads into Syria I fear a full scale Middle East war will erupt. Because if Syria is attacked, Iran will get involved which will then get the US involved.

Only diplomatic negotiations can solve this situation, Hezbollah are up for negotiations atleast, quouted from bbc.

#5 mybluebird

mybluebird

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

I'm very appalled by what Israel is doing, for just 2 kidnapped and 6 killed Israeli soldiers they kill around 50 innocent Lebanese civilians who had nothing to do with this. If this bombing spreads into Syria I fear a full scale Middle East war will erupt. Because if Syria is attacked, Iran will get involved which will then get the US involved.

Only diplomatic negotiations can solve this situation, Hezbollah are up for negotiations atleast, quouted from bbc.

Israel is not only reacting to the kidnapped soldiers. Perhaps some of their actions are due to the fact that Hezbollah is firing over 100 rockets per DAY at Israel cities (so the total is something like 800 now, according to ABC)? Im not saying that a military strike is obviously the right choice, because of course diplomatic methods for peace are always preferable to military "solutions." But Israel is really in a tough situation because of the numerous rockets fired daily at its cities. According to wikipedia, Hezbollah took the first offensive action, which was against some of Israel's boarder-patrolling tanks.

#6 Hiraikotsu

Hiraikotsu

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hezbollah are up for negotiations atleast, quouted from bbc.

I guess negotiating sounds like the logical thing to do if this was "Israel VS. Lebanon", however, it is "Israel VS. Hezbollah". In this case, I don't think that it's reasonable to "negotiate" with terrorists.

According to wikipedia, Hezbollah took the first offensive action, which was against some of Israel's boarder-patrolling tanks.

Exactly. I think that Israel has stepped aside too many times in the past, and maybe it's time they took some action and stopped letting other countries/terrorist groups walk all over them. Anyway, the Lebonese government is saying that they don't have the power to overthrow Hezbollah, which is a terrorist organization. So even if Israel and Hezbollah stopped shooting rockets at each other, Hezbollah would still exist. Therefore, if the Lebanese government can't [or won't] do anything about them, who will? Israel wouldn't have had to attack if the Lebonese had at least attempted to disband Hezbollah, but all they did was to try and justify why they didn't do anything at all.

It's such a frightening situation there right now, and with a President who bombs first and thinks later, I don't know what's going to happen. I'd feel a whole lot safer right now, if Bill Clinton were still in the White House. At least he TRIED negotiations. ^_^

I agree. I'm just hoping this all ends soon because my younger stepbrother and his family live in Haifa, Israel.

#7 boa_fan929

boa_fan929

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

I hear that the US is purposely slowing the cease-fire process down so that Israel has more time to destruct Hezbollah. It makes sense logically, but in reality, ordinary Lebanese are still getting killed.

#8 Ashkali أس

Ashkali أس

We can stop racism together!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:57 AM

I guess negotiating sounds like the logical thing to do if this was "Israel VS. Lebanon", however, it is "Israel VS. Hezbollah". In this case, I don't think that it's reasonable to "negotiate" with terrorists.

It depends on whose point of view you are taking for them to be considered as 'terrorists'. Hezbollah have only been called terrorists by Israel, USA, Canada and the UK. The EU as such do not consider them terrorists. Israel is turning it into a Israel vs. Lebanon conflict by the countless civilians being targeted and if Syria and Iran get involved (which could be likely), it would be a Israel vs. Islam conflict. Israel aren't exactly going to be rubbing shoulders with their neighbours any time soon for bombing Lebanon.

#9 Aizmov

Aizmov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

Israel is not only reacting to the kidnapped soldiers. Perhaps some of their actions are due to the fact that Hezbollah is firing over 100 rockets per DAY at Israel cities (so the total is something like 800 now, according to ABC)? Im not saying that a military strike is obviously the right choice, because of course diplomatic methods for peace are always preferable to military "solutions." But Israel is really in a tough situation because of the numerous rockets fired daily at its cities. According to wikipedia, Hezbollah took the first offensive action, which was against some of Israel's boarder-patrolling tanks.

that's big fat lie, your veiwing the worng side of story
like when they said that Hezbollah's leader got injured and he is totaly fine they said they lunch 100 rocket per day
i say it again it's a lie ... Hizbollah doesn't have this much of power to lunch 100 rocket
it's just an excuse to make people say " oh then it's better to hit them "

my friend is lebense and yes he live with me in another country but his family is in there
Israil is not attacking the place where " Hizbollah " is hiding they are attacking inocent people
and that OUT-OF-THE-QUETION peoblem .... WHY THE HELL THEY ARE KILLING KIDS AND WOMEN
yea yea i know they will say (( they hit us and killed kids and women too )) BUT FOR GOD SAKE WE MAY KILL 1 or 2 and they kill 20 - 30 !!!

like 2 days ago when Hizbollah managed to get down one of the Israile airplanes THEY WERE TOTALLY HAPPY AND DANCING ... and you said 800 rocket !!! lol then why they were happy about the plane

i'm not angry of you lol to not think i'm angry or anything ^___^
but what i want to say to everyone here that your local media is showing what they want ... and not the pure truth... i see the pure truth every day in our media

and what i see ? kids need help ... kids are dead ... kids who are injured ... women who are crying for losing all their families ... i see a total tragity ... man this must be stopped ... why people hate us because punch of people is doing somthing worng >.< ... it's know " hit who hit you not his brother " cuz it's unfair !!!

i don't want anyone get me worng please ^___^
that's what i saw and that's what i am thinking about ^___^
thanks for understanding ^___^

#10 mybluebird

mybluebird

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

that's big fat lie, your veiwing the worng side of story
like when they said that Hezbollah's leader got injured and he is totaly fine they said they lunch 100 rocket per day
i say it again it's a lie ... Hizbollah doesn't have this much of power to lunch 100 rocket
it's just an excuse to make people say " oh then it's better to hit them "

Okay, this may be true. Personally, I do not have the slightest idea what Hezbollah (ahh i dont even know it its spelled with an "i" or "e" :rolleyes: ) is capable of. Therefore, all I have said is a combination of what I heard from my local news, Yahoo! news, and wikipedia.

my friend is lebense and yes he live with me in another country but his family is in there
Israil is not attacking the place where " Hizbollah " is hiding they are attacking inocent people
and that OUT-OF-THE-QUETION peoblem .... WHY THE HELL THEY ARE KILLING KIDS AND WOMEN
yea yea i know they will say (( they hit us and killed kids and women too )) BUT FOR GOD SAKE WE MAY KILL 1 or 2 and they kill 20 - 30 !!!

*Phew* Thank God someone agrees with me! 2 wrongs do NOT NOT NOT make a right!! Also though Israel cannot just sit back and let its cities get destroyed. Once again, I think they should strive for a diplomatic solution...but it seems as if currently they are simply unable to compromise.

like 2 days ago when Hizbollah managed to get down one of the Israile airplanes THEY WERE TOTALLY HAPPY AND DANCING ... and you said 800 rocket !!! lol then why they were happy about the plane

This is merely my opinion, but it could be that they were happy to hit a military target because this actually damages Israel's ability to attack them back. I am sure that, because of the situation both countries are in, each would be happier hitting a plane than some random house.

i'm not angry of you lol to not think i'm angry or anything ^___^
but what i want to say to everyone here that your local media is showing what they want ... and not the pure truth... i see the pure truth every day in our media

and what i see ? kids need help ... kids are dead ... kids who are injured ... women who are crying for losing all their families ... i see a total tragity ... man this must be stopped ... why people hate us because punch of people is doing somthing worng >.< ... it's know " hit who hit you not his brother " cuz it's unfair !!!

i don't want anyone get me worng please ^___^
that's what i saw and that's what i am thinking about ^___^
thanks for understanding ^___^

Me neither towards you :) its always nice to hear different viewpoints on issues to be more informed. Obviously, not living in either Lebanon or Israel, and without firsthand experience, all I know is what the various news sources tell me. Thats why I at least don't just watch the nightly Fox news or anything, I also check up on different websits, etc. If you dont mind me asking, do you live in the Middle East? Because I live in America so I would guess that in different countries the news stations show different facts and focus on different parts of the issue. I hope you understand this too :D

#11 Aizmov

Aizmov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

If you dont mind me asking, do you live in the Middle East? Because I live in America so I would guess that in different countries the news stations show different facts and focus on different parts of the issue. I hope you understand this too

yea i do live in Middle East... that's why i tell you that i know the whole thing ^____^
i totally believe that your media never show what our media show
because what our media give is ... is somthing really really sad
i always wish that we can do somthing but we are stunned >.<
i just read that the number of Human dead peeps hit the 200 >.< <<< surly soon will hit 1000+ if this kept going on !!!!
so yea ... it's really sad to hear somthing like this !!!

#12 mybluebird

mybluebird

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

yea i do live in Middle East...

Alright, well now your point of view makes more sense to me. I must say, its pretty sweet that there are Boa lovers (well at least one!) there too :rolleyes:

#13 Aizmov

Aizmov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

Alright, well now your point of view makes more sense to me. I must say, its pretty sweet that there are Boa lovers (well at least one!) there too :rolleyes:

lol me and all my friends love BoA ... that make us more than 20 lol
alot of peeps here love her actully ... thanks to the JPOP wave lol :D
so we get a little out of the topic sorry lol ^___^

#14 boa_fan929

boa_fan929

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

The death toll is something like in the 200s for Lebanon and around 25 for Israel...

#15 Isabella89

Isabella89

Clarissa = future pin-up artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

http://townhall.com/...easy_to_explain is a brilliant article that gives the brief history of what's going on. I think Israel is right. They are pushed around constantly and mistreated. It's about time they put there foot down. The other side just refuses to back down, knowing the consequences. They keep messing with Israel, who warned them, but now all of the sudden they are the bad guys for defending themselves? I think that Israel is in the right, and should be left alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users