129 replies to this topic

#61 thaly

thaly

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

american society is going to judge nonetheless. we tend to do so.
his actions should not reflect on what ethnicity he is. this guy acted as an individual, soley on his own problems, and not bc he was korean. he will never represent all koreans. he will only represent himself and his personal issues.
there were racist comments coming from caucasians just bc the gunman at va tech was asian. it pissed me off that i wanted to mention the columbine massacre. did the society targeted the caucasian race bc the 2 gunmen were caucasians? i don't remember so. it's usually the minorities who are.
btw, it shouldn't be a surprise that asians are capable of mass murder too. anyone can be regardless of race. there was another asian student from university of iowa who fatally shot 4 professors and a student in 1991.

Edited by thaly, 17 April 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#62 boocmarc

boocmarc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

R.I.P for all the innocents.

#63 FuTuRiStIc_Man

FuTuRiStIc_Man

~.:Mr. PoCkY:.~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

ye i know this was really shocking to me too.
i was like omg, someone shot people at virginia tech.
and then i was more shocked when i hear that it was 31 or something and that he shot HIMSELF too

#64 Xiaoyu

Xiaoyu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

I heard he locked the doors with chains so
no one could get in or out, so people
started jump out windows
Its a sad sight to behold

yes that was the only way they could find safety.

A guy from Cave Spring...well he is a Cave Spring graduate and in order to stay alive he baracaded the door to keep the gunman out and not be able to shoot anyone in that particular class. When he was only the news a guy ask him how does it feel when someone calls you a hero... He just began crying. This event affected alot of people and I just now found out a friend of my sister died and his family is from where i live and he is cousin to my friend. RIP Henh

#65 BonaFideLove

BonaFideLove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

A person came up to me today and said, "You advocate being Korean and you're proud of what one of your people did? Go back to China."

Lol. They are so used to stereotyping Asians that they can't even form a coherent sentence when trying to insult us Asians. And by THEY, I mean racists in general.

*sigh* I don't advocate being Korean... I just correct them when they are so poorly mistaken.

Goodness.. My condolences really go to the 30+ unfortunate victims. They didn't deserve that. >[

#66 koreanboba

koreanboba

• BoAjjang Subtitles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

yea he was korean >.<..

i was watching the news and how these korean people came together to mourn.. T_T...

then the news goes around asking KOREANS their opinions.. <- that was "WTH" to me.. but i guess it does have some relevancy...

its sad..

but then again.. its stuff that does go on in real life whether or not we want to "acknowledge" it..

btw..bonafidelove.. yea.. racism is sad...

i feel like im one of the lucky ones who havent been picked on because of race.. if anything.. i was more "special" for being a korean.. XD... my teachers used to always be like.. "write something asian".. >.<

[EDIT] im watching more on this.. and his roomates.. T_T they're just recalling memories of him being weird.. why not something happy..

#67 Jonnie

Jonnie

HP:

• BoAjjang Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

Wow, i was shocked to hear the shooter is asian, but even more shocked that he was KOREAN.
Im very sorry that this happened, and it's truly a tragedy, but please dont make a big deal out of it because he was asian. Today, i got alot of comments on it. Not just people telling me about what happened but the key word always came up: HE WAS ASIAN. *GASP* dry.gif

Your post is kind of hypocritical... You yourself displayed such a "surprised" reaction to finding out the shooter was Asian, Korean. So why lay so much heat on non-Asians reacting the same way as you?

I do agree, this will cause unneeded backlash to the Asian and, specifically, Korean community. It takes one bad egg to ruin it all. And there will definitely be certain bigots and racists taking advantage of the situation.

My condolences go out to the victim's families. Before people jump to conclusions, find scape goats (such as blaming Video Games), or even stereo type, it's important to get the police report and know the situation it's entirety. This is definitely not a simple black and white event, it is complicated. There'll be a plethora of factors as to why this has happened.

My biggest gripe are ambulance chasers, like Jack Thompson, taking advantage of this situation. They are trash of the society. Moral scum bags.

#68 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

A person came up to me today and said, "You advocate being Korean and you're proud of what one of your people did? Go back to China."

Please don't assume that the majority of Americans of ANY race are this stupid. First off, the vast majority of Asians at VA tech were terrorized (and some probably killed) BY this gunman. Secondly, Koreans usually come from Korea, WTH?!?

This idiot sounds like a punchline for a Bill Engvall joke: "Here's Your Sign!" (If you don't remember that joke/routine, CLICK HERE.).

But of course, racism and ignorance DO go hand-in-hand, so I shouldn't be too surprised....

Before people jump to conclusions, find scape goats (such as blaming Video Games)...

The day of the tragedy, I saw Dr. Phil doing just that. Unbelievable ignorance! Up to this point, the biggest such massacre in American history occurred in 1966--there were no video games back then, so explain THAT, Dr. Phil. :notworthy:

There'll be a plethora of factors as to why this has happened.

It's looking simpler by the hour, though...the kid had MAJOR problems, members of the faculty tried desperately to get something done about it, and neither the police nor the university administrators would take action. There were plenty of warning signs. It wouldn't matter whether Cho had been Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Caucasian, African-American, Latino, or from a small tribe somewhere in the rain forest, if the people in power had done something to stop him before he went completely insane.

That university deserves to be sued out of existence, for being so lax and completely failing to protect the students. People who let other people die need to be penalized, to set an example for other institutions.

But something that is going to overshadow the issue of Cho's race very soon is going to be a very heated debate about guns. Instead of coming up with sensible nationwide standards for security at all our nation's universities, you can bet that lawmakers will start trying to change gun laws.

Stupidest part about that is, if you take the guns away from mass murderers, it's quite a simple matter to make bombs (which could kill far more people) from items you have in your own garage. Then they'll have to ban sales of garden fertilizer, instead of focusing on the real issue: Identify problem individuals and deal with them BEFORE they go berserk.

#69 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

How can you even think about saying it's not his fault? It IS his fault. You can't blame other people for your problems throughout your whole life!

I totally understand what you're saying, but you need to ask yourself, what MAKES a person that way? Judging from his writings, I'm thinking he might have been molested by his father, and his mother did nothing to help (I don't recall the title of that one-act play he wrote, sorry). The FBI profiler I saw on the news did say that there seemed to be a recurring theme of him hating male authority figures because they made him feel helpless. *IF* this resulted from molestation (which was mentioned in one of his stories), that could easily warp a child to the point where he had no conscience, and felt overwhelming anger at the world because 1) he hated his own feelings of helplessness, 2) he resented others for their normal lives which he never really had, 3) he despised authority figures because they reinforced his helplessness, and 4) doing something unspeakably cruel would give him that rush of power he craved.

Whether it was molestation, or something entirely different, the end result was that he had been beaten down enough to crave power and vengeance. You can take the kindest dog in the world, and abuse it enough until it becomes a violent monster, killing just for the sake of killing.

So is it the dog's fault, or the abuser's fault for creating the monster? If a child has his conscience beaten out of him, he's just like the violent dog--a menace to society. If a child has been mentally/physically/sexually abused beyond his/her breaking point (and it varies in each person), anything can happen. There are people who can tolerate far less than other victims of abuse, because they have mental illnesses which lower their breaking point. That's one reason why abuse survivors vary widely, in how they react.

Yes, Cho was sick, cruel, the whole nine yards. Even if the family didn't abuse him, though, the fact that they did NOTHING to help him makes them as guilty as if they'd helped him pulled the trigger. In my home town, there was a high school punk who shot at Ace Hardware clerk dozens of times, and everybody was SO shocked. Yeah, right...days later, stories came out, telling how this kid had buried puppies and kittens up to their necks, and used a lawn mower to mow over their heads. Dad didn't notice the bloody lawnmower, huh? Yeah, right. :notworthy:

There's no such thing as a psychopath who just emerges out of nowhere. There are signs all along. It's just that people choose to ignore them. And those people share the guilt with the person they should have stopped, while the problem was still controllable.

And, in fact, I am really angry that he killed himself. I cannot believe it. He did not deserve to get out of this situation so easily. He deserved to realize how many people he hurt.

First off, he didn't care. If he didn't care while blowing people's heads off at point-blank range, do you think he'd care afterward? If so, you're deluding yourself, believing that he thinks like you (and other normal people) do.

Secondly, if he hadn't killed himself, the state would have to pay to keep him imprisoned...what if he had broken out of prison, and killed MORE people? Or if some technicality prevented him from getting a life sentence, and he could get out on parole later? (God knows that, as incompetent as the local police are in that area, they could've botched the evidence easily.) He had to die, so that other potential victims could live. There are some people you just can't rehabilitate....

He got in a fight with his girlfriend, and when the RA (resident advisor) came down to see what was going on, he shot them both. People had seen what was going on, and when he heard them slam their doors he started trying to open them. Which brings me to another point to disagree with SuYen; three or so guys in their dorm where the first shooting took place locked their door and barricaded it. Not only did the gunman try to open the door, he started shooting through it trying to get to them. This guy KNEW what he was doing; it can't be accounted to "oh he's just insane he didn't know what he was doing." Yes he did. He is a SICK individual. ANYONE who has so little conscience that they can kill even ONE person has none of my sympathy or respect. That is disgusting. He was treating them like animals. How can you feel sympathy (or at least the type of sympathy where you say it's not his fault) for someone who killed people who hadn't seen their parents since Christmastime? Who didn't deserve to die?

#70 FuTuRiStIc_Man

FuTuRiStIc_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

well even if he was abused by his father and everything,
why take it out on other people???
i mean i hate suicide but its better than dragging 30 something other people with him like that.
well, some people are just crazy i guess

#71 FuTuRiStIc_Man

FuTuRiStIc_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

WTF!!!! ROFL....
omg that is so funny. wow, i cant believe someone was that stupid.
so chinese people must come from korea then huh? :notworthy:
wow.....

#72 mybluebird

mybluebird

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

My deepest sympathies to all those affected by this...of course hindsight is 20/20, but it is disheartening to think that the students weren't adequately warned after the first shooting, which occured before classes began.

However, it appears (to me at least) as though the news is giving conflicting reports...? Earlier there was a picture of the shooter getting arrested, but I am 99% sure that I heard he committed suicide. Anybody know which it is?

#73 SuYen

SuYen

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Yes he is a sick individual. But for once I just decided to look on the inside and have a lil sympathy for the little crazy person. I knew he knew he was aware of what he was doing. And like I said some people are just sadistic/psychotic enough to choose a different path even if they are aware of the consequences.

And me saying it wasn't his fault, I didn't mean all the way, my bad. Which brings to my point again that the other fault could be the cause of what you just posted above hinachan, on what makes a person that way and so on.

#74 SuYen

SuYen

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Well its pretty obvious that Koreans dont go shooting people just because of what happened lol But Im guessing some people will be dumb enough to be cautious around asian people. I mean first it was SARS :notworthy: then this I think.

btw

it takes any person to become a killer no matter what race the person is.

#75 Jonnie

Jonnie

HP:

• BoAjjang Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

hinachan:

What I meant was how the entire situation transpired or came to be, could be based on many things.

Yes, We know the kid was mentally unstable. But what was the cause? Childhood trauma? Abuse? He was taking anti-depressants... were the drugs illegally prescribed? Did the pills have adverse affects on him? Is he clinically insane? If somebody knew he was mentally ill, why did nobody take precautions early on to look after him?

Did the school lack security? Or are there too many bullies in his area?

Was it Video games? Violent entertainment? Lax gun laws? Or maybe a mix of all of the above? Who's to blame? Who's not to blame?

In short, it's not just one thing, nor is it simple. There is definitely many forces/factors working in tandem.

(The above were merely examples. I don't know if those were really mitigating factors. Although, he was taking anti-depressants prior to the shooting.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users