12 replies to this topic

#1 peachy9

peachy9

mocha DREAMS;

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

[previously posted in the spam section... I hope I don't get in trouble posting the same thing :D]

Hey, I don't know where to put this XD I have a feeling it should
be in the Lounge but meh =\ I have a question regarding about
graphic design in college and university. Is it required for you
to use a mac? I have been told from my tutor and friend that you
need to use a mac for graphic design. I just want to know if it is
necessary. Please tell me if you know anything about this or at least
what you guys think. thnx!!! :D

Edited by peachy9, 20 May 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#2 druey

druey

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

i've heard that too, at some universities, it is required.

but i'm pretty sure if you function off of windows, you'll be ok.

i myself, am planning to get a Macbook Pro for next year so i'll be prepped in all of my design classes. It's more business oriented, and in that i mean, not a system you wanna game on.

#3 BAMF

BAMF

Charmed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

From what I know, Macs are used primarily for graphic stuff and editing (videos and pictures). You should get a mac though. They're awesome and way better than Windows.

#4 peachy9

peachy9

mocha DREAMS;

• Members
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

i've heard that too, at some universities, it is required.

but i'm pretty sure if you function off of windows, you'll be ok.

i myself, am planning to get a Macbook Pro for next year so i'll be prepped in all of my design classes. It's more business oriented, and in that i mean, not a system you wanna game on.

I am also planning to get a macbook pro next year XD

From what I know, Macs are used primarily for graphic stuff and editing (videos and pictures). You should get a mac though. They're awesome and way better than Windows.

I've only used a mac twice and I believe that it IS better than windows.
I am ticked off at windows right now, it has given me so many problems.

#5 Evolution

Evolution

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:05 AM

You could always ask the college/uni you're going to.

#6 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Except for the fonts. As much as I like Linux, Windows has better font rendering than either Mac or Linux. But if you can live with choppy looking fonts, go for the Mac. :lol:

#7 Evolution

Evolution

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:22 AM

As much as I like Linux, Windows has better font rendering than ... Linux.

That can be remedied. It still won't be the same as Windows, however it will be close enough. But hey, there's a reason one uses Linux. to try to be different from everyone else =) :lol:

#8 peachy9

peachy9

mocha DREAMS;

• Members
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Except for the fonts. As much as I like Linux, Windows has better font rendering than either Mac or Linux. But if you can live with choppy looking fonts, go for the Mac. :lol:

really? hmm I guess I never noticed... I honestly don't think I can lol XD

#9 vagabond

vagabond

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Depends what kind of graphic design you are talking about. But guessing we are talking about 2D one. Well my university have both PC and Mac. Before in the past the answer to your question would e that the Mac have better software, but that have changed recently and you can get the same programs for the PC now.

The department I go to are called Department of Information design and product development. And noticed that thoose that work almost only with 2D images like Illustrator and similar mainly uses Mac copmuter because the teachers in the courses uses thoose, even though the same software exist for the PC with one exception Quark.

When it comes to video editing and such the both are equal. Both have some advantages. But seems when it comes to compositing the professionals use Mac more then PC even though Combustion (one of the best software for compositing) exist for PC and are great for that.

3D graphic are better on PC. Sure Maya exist both for PC and Mac but are abit weaker on Mac. 3D Studio Max only exist on PC.

Short answer to your initial question are a big NO. You can make graphic design with a PC. Think the teachers are more saying that they will only show and help on a Mac. So if you go with a PC you are alone with no help from the teachers.

#10 KisekiLove

KisekiLove

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Although I am not doing graphic design in the university, but I am taking digital media design in college currently. As I know, Mac is required for all design works. It is the most suitable software and I am using it almost everyday in school.

#11 ach003

ach003

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

i never heard of requiring someone to use a mac. actually, there are many high quality PCs that are perfectly suited for graphic design/art. it has nothing to do with brand, as long as you have the right features. I think people bash windows way too much...i think its perfectly fine for graphics.

#12 BAMF

BAMF

Charmed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:07 AM

Except for the fonts. As much as I like Linux, Windows has better font rendering than either Mac or Linux. But if you can live with choppy looking fonts, go for the Mac. :notworthy:

I've never noticed any choppy looking fonts.

#13 peachy9

peachy9

mocha DREAMS;

• Members
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Depends what kind of graphic design you are talking about. But guessing we are talking about 2D one. Well my university have both PC and Mac. Before in the past the answer to your question would e that the Mac have better software, but that have changed recently and you can get the same programs for the PC now.

The department I go to are called Department of Information design and product development. And noticed that thoose that work almost only with 2D images like Illustrator and similar mainly uses Mac copmuter because the teachers in the courses uses thoose, even though the same software exist for the PC with one exception Quark.

When it comes to video editing and such the both are equal. Both have some advantages. But seems when it comes to compositing the professionals use Mac more then PC even though Combustion (one of the best software for compositing) exist for PC and are great for that.

3D graphic are better on PC. Sure Maya exist both for PC and Mac but are abit weaker on Mac. 3D Studio Max only exist on PC.

Short answer to your initial question are a big NO. You can make graphic design with a PC. Think the teachers are more saying that they will only show and help on a Mac. So if you go with a PC you are alone with no help from the teachers.

thnx so much for taking the time replying! you helped a lot :blink:
and yes, I'm talking about 2D. I would also like to work with 3D though.

i never heard of requiring someone to use a mac. actually, there are many high quality PCs that are perfectly suited for graphic design/art. it has nothing to do with brand, as long as you have the right features. I think people bash windows way too much...i think its perfectly fine for graphics.

yah, I'm not talking about the brand >.< just overall because
I don't really know much about the mac. Although, I know that
things have changed and the pc could be just as great.

I've never noticed any choppy looking fonts.

yah, I asked a friend who has a mac recently and she said that the fonts were perfectly fine =\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users