125 replies to this topic

#1 AznFob

AznFob

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

Well I havn't posted in a while , basicly tell us your belief and why or why not.

I'm an atheist , because the bible had many things that did not make sense to me.
some examples , selling daughter to slavery , stoning to death disobedient children , go to hell for working on sundays , etc
God is supposedly divine and all powerful , he choose all powerful people to write the bible , so the bible should be something to live by , correct?
Did god create hell for people asking questions like me?

imho

Edited by AznFob, 09 July 2007 - 01:22 PM.

#2 fallchildren

fallchildren

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Atheist, due to liberal application of logic.
Let's put it this way: the ancient Greeks believed in Zeus and the rest of the gang on Mount Olympus. The Aztecs believed in Quetzalcoatl (which may or may not have contributed to the end of the Aztec empire). Nowadays, both religions have been relegated to amusing anecdotes in history books. Why should God (or Allah, the Buddha, what have you) be any different? In my opinion, religions are like fads; a great number of people adhere to one until it's supplanted by the next popular deity (case in point, jumping form Jupiter to God in the western hemisphere).
Galileo is another big contributer; he stood trial for heresy due to his heliocentric theories (apparently, the Bible states otherwise). The Church proceeded to chuck him in prison before placing him under house arrest... for the rest of his life. And we all know who was right in the end.
I suppose it's this sort of narrow-mindedness that drives me away from organized religion. Tolerance (or should I say, lack thereof) between many religions is atrocious, and it's something I do not want to perpetrate or be a part of.

#3 kireisnowtenshi

kireisnowtenshi

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

I would say Im a believer.

My only explanation would be there are too many unexplained things that happen in the world to not believe something is out there, however I am not agnostic as I believe there is a God.

I believe the bible is written by man therefore it is already bound to have mistakes and flaws since man is possibly the most flawed creature of all. Dont always believe everything that a person writes because he puts the words holy scripture on it. You are supposed to develope your own since of God and your own personal worship traditions.

And since I know Jesus was infact a real person I think thats enough to believe there is a God.

#4 druey

druey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

Atheist, due to liberal application of logic.
Let's put it this way: the ancient Greeks believed in Zeus and the rest of the gang on Mount Olympus. The Aztecs believed in Quetzalcoatl (which may or may not have contributed to the end of the Aztec empire). Nowadays, both religions have been relegated to amusing anecdotes in history books. Why should God (or Allah, the Buddha, what have you) be any different?

i completely agree. they're stories to entertain and inform, not to rule over people.

#5 xxxfreshjuicexxx

xxxfreshjuicexxx

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

believers believe because they want to. I don't know the very meaning of faith but all i can say is that we do believe even though there are no proofs because you trust.

and no, God did not create hell for people who question :huh: it's just a matter of clarification and learning.

#6 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

I believe in God, but not in organized religion. :huh:

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

believer.
remember we cant explain it with logic.

#8 sakura_lite

sakura_lite

DBSK Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Believer.
Jesus is the proof. In christianity, God is forgiving and loving but if you look at the Torah, God is a bit harsh.

I have questions regarding religion but im still a believer because deep down, i know God exisits.

#9 ~Spica~

~Spica~

The Red Butterfly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'm agnostic. Maybe it's because of my curious nature, but I'm just not sure if there is a God or not. I agree with druey. The Bible is just stories; I can't believe so many people take it so seriously. However, I'm NOT saying there isn't a God, I just don't really believe with what the Bible says. I think about whether there is a God or not a whole lot though. I just can't be convinced into believing yet.

#10 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

I don't really believe in anything.

I still believe I have a soul, and that there is, hopefully, something there on the other side of life, but as for gods and books, not quite sure.

Church, (the people that i've seen there, the beliefs, etc), really has not appealed to me. at all. >>

i 'like' the objectivist (sp?) philosophy, or, the 'virtue of selfishness.' not selfishness in a cruel way, but as in keeping myself, and my work and concerns first before everyhting else. i don't want to sacrifice, or give up, any part of me for someone or something else. that doesn't mean i won't ever contribute to anything, or never love or whatnot though. i just want to be me, and stay me.

Edited by sakyh, 12 July 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#11 Korea's Greatest

Korea's Greatest

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

I'm a believer because like people say there are many things that can't be explained with words nor can we comprehend what God can do. He created everyone with the ability of freewill. Everyone, well a lot of people, have the misconception that God [/b]has[b] to be good and loving and etc. But no, he will let his wrath go as well. There is stoning because He allows it to happen. Nothing is out of reach for Him. Whether people side with me or not I don't care. This is my belief, I believe in a God that is almighty and that can rule anything. He is my life, the one who sent His son to die for me...and all of us. He loves us because we are His creation. The Bible is a very interesting book when you understand it, it's hard for me to understand it as well, but that's what church is for. There really is one big point of the Bible, the Gospel, every book in the Bible points to it either directly or indirectly. How Jesus came down to die for us, our sins so that we may be reunited with our Father again.

It really is a beautiful thing. If you guys have questions feel free to PM or something. I'm not saying that I'm greater or anything, just if you have any questions I'll [/i]try[/i] and clear it up. I don't have all the answers, but I am a growing Christian and I'd love to help. =)

#12 AznFob

AznFob

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

I'm a believer because like people say there are many things that can't be explained with words nor can we comprehend what God can do. He created everyone with the ability of freewill. Everyone, well a lot of people, have the misconception that God [/b]has[b] to be good and loving and etc. But no, he will let his wrath go as well. There is stoning because He allows it to happen. Nothing is out of reach for Him. Whether people side with me or not I don't care. This is my belief, I believe in a God that is almighty and that can rule anything. He is my life, the one who sent His son to die for me...and all of us. He loves us because we are His creation. The Bible is a very interesting book when you understand it, it's hard for me to understand it as well, but that's what church is for. There really is one big point of the Bible, the Gospel, every book in the Bible points to it either directly or indirectly. How Jesus came down to die for us, our sins so that we may be reunited with our Father again.

It really is a beautiful thing. If you guys have questions feel free to PM or something. I'm not saying that I'm greater or anything, just if you have any questions I'll [/i]try[/i] and clear it up. I don't have all the answers, but I am a growing Christian and I'd love to help. =)

can you start with this

#13 Korea's Greatest

Korea's Greatest

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

so many damn questions.

honestly, i dont feel like reading them. yeah i havnt read the bible front to cover but i'm pretty darn close to, but how about this. have you read a text book front to back for school? you bought the book, you studied it most likely and such, but have you read the it word for word and understood everything it said?

things in the present are different from the past. God created all, yes even evil, but what is evil i may ask? its pretty much the absence of good. so sin is the absence of God. He is a jealous God, He doesn't want his children to follow after other idols like a cow. Abraham did what he was told because an angel of the Lord came down to deliver a message to him. If he saw God's face, he would have died because of the glory. Moses saw the back of God's head and he aged incredibly.

I'm gonna say this, i'm not a house keeper. I'm not gonna go through questions that you probably not have even taken a chance to solve yourself. People make questions like that because they want to go and prove someone wrong.

So when that one question asked, "nothing was there anything about Jesus being called a Nazarane." you think that the old testament is going to have something word for word? It points to the Messiah, which is Jesus. The Jewish faith do not believe Jesus was the Messiah because the OT describes Jesus in a heavenly fashion. He came on a donkey through Jerusalem and then died on a cross after the Jewish community persecuted him.

The virgin mary was a virgin when giving birth to Jesus. Why? He was the first born child and she got pregnant before living with her husband, before they got married. If you no the culture back then, you would no that sometimes they would test the faith of the girl to be married for a year to see if she would be loyal to her husband. so they live separated for a year from each other after they're married. she got pregnant between that time. we cant say that she was a virgin after that, but possibly not because Jesus had a brother named James.

About the earth going on forever, and not. Well if read Revelation, it talks about the new Heaven and the new Earth. Revelation is a hard book to understand if you havnt read Daniel or Zechariah which are very hard books to interpret as well. However, when it talks about the new Heaven and the new Earth, it talks about the golden paved streets and such. There are earthly things in the new Heaven and new Earth as well as heavenly things. After judgement day and after the great battle, Heaven will come and join with Earth showing that the old earth is no more and there is a new earth that lives on.

You think that God will answer all of our prayers? He doesn't go poof here's your new BMW. No, he gives you what you need and not what you want. When he does give, he gives in subtle amounts. He usually doesn't give it all at once. I have prayed when we, our mission team went down to mexico and we were going to the airport to go back to the US, but our tire popped. we really did have anymore time to lose or else we would have missed our flight. After i prayed for help and that we may get to the airport on time, boom help comes fixes the tire and we get to the airport 1 minute before the plane leaves. Coincidence? I don't no, no one was on that road, and the road service was called Green Angel...pretty crazy if you ask me.

do you even no what pslams is about? they are pslams dedicated to God written by David. they're poems. the first half of pslams talks about his happiness and blah blah blah, while the 2nd half talks about his lement after his adultry with bashiba. in the end all of it points to jesus and how glorious he is. read it, its pretty good. (if i'm wrong may God forgive me)

im tired its 2:30 in the morning. but there. some answers. ^_^ enjoy.

Edited by Korea's Greatest, 12 July 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#14 MaverickZeroIota

MaverickZeroIota

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

I believe in God, or a higher power if you will. But, I am steadfastly against organized religion. Not to be rude, but I always saw organized religion as an easy answer for those who seek answers, but don't want to pine over the questions themselves. Think about Christianity. Come every Sunday. Listen to what WE have to say, and be content. Never question what WE say as it is always right. Sound a little twisted? How will you learn to think for yourself if you are being told what to think on a regular basis? And the bible? How can you use a book thousands of years old to govern a modern society? Something had to have been rendered obsolete by then. And as for those who believe in hell. Hell is like a propaganda tool. Yeah, let's scare people into submission. You know what I think though. If there's a hell it's Earth. As a mortal you feel pain, suffering, heartache, loss. But, life on Earth can be happy as well. Life is what you make it. I don't think God punishes people on Earth. Your actions catch up with you eventually. You punish yourself.

#15 fallchildren

fallchildren

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

He is a jealous God, He doesn't want his children to follow after other idols like a cow.

Wait, wait, wait. Did you just refer to Buddhists, Muslims, etc. as cows? Ignoring the obvious disrespect, let me ask you this: what sets people of your faith apart from everyone else? Why aren't you a "cow?" After all, the existence of your god cannot be proved any more than that of other deities.

Edited by fallchildren, 12 July 2007 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users