125 replies to this topic

#121 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Just as a person can't be totally blinded by religion, someone can't be totally blinded by science. A lot of science is just theories and will most likely remain theories. There are things that can't be explained and will probably never be explained.

Lastly, I refuse to believe I'm evolved from a turd-flinging chimp.

So you preach that you should never treat either side as being absolute, but here you are adamant against being related to primates~

poop hater >:(

#122 omegach

omegach

Ω

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

There's no plausible explanation on how we supposedly evolved from a single cell on the back of a diamond to a human being.

read the second chapter of The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. imo, the widely-accepted theory he explains is much more plausible than Genesis. even if you refuse to believe it, the book is an interesting read.

#123 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

I never said a specific type of evolution,
But evolution on some scale does exist.
And I don't see how its not plausible that we evolved form a small amoeba,
This about it. If our features are now changing in small doses over the years,
If you take that and multiply it times millions of years... I'm sure you would see a DRASTIC change.
And if we were always as human as we are now, we'd have gotten much further in technology by now, especially when you see how rapidly we are developing new technologies.

Its hard to imagine that we were in this shape and form for millions of years, and only past couple hundred years did we start with a short, weak electrical current and then BOOM industrialization, Ipods, complex binary code and internet systems. So I have to believe that we weren't always in this capable body & mind. We had to come from lesser things.

Humans try too hard to maintain superiority over animals by acting as though we had not in any way or form ever were related to them. Why? Why does it bother you that humans may have been a poop flinging ape? Does it make you feel less human, less superior or something? We're the top of the food chain now and that's all that matters.

A lot of science is just theories and will most likely remain theories.

Actually, (And you may like what I'm about to say), all science is technically only a theory.
Nothing is proven, not even our existence technically. Because a hypothesis needs to be formed, then you test that hypothesis, and you deem the hypothesis either right or faulty due to the results. You can prove something wrong, but can't prove it true. For instance. I can do a study, and say... "If I put my hand on this wall it will not go through the wall". And then after having it work a gazillion times, I would say it was true. But, all it takes is ONE time of it not working, and the theory falls apart. Even if it worked 99.99999% of the time, all it takes is one inconsistency and a theory falls apart. You cannot prove anything true because in a sense, becuase all it takes is one change. You can't prove that you're breathing real air, you can't prove there's a sun in the sky, you can't prove anything. Scientists recognize this and understand it, but since a lot of evidence points STRONGLY in one direction, that is what we go with.

But, since we can't go around assuming everything in the world is a lie, and since we can't end every single existing sentence with "but maybe not", we talk in terms like "proven" and "exists" and all that junk. So in other words, I'm still saying evolution is proven in my eyes, because it has been evident for years and years that it exists and is still working within us to this day.

Edited by --e n k y o r i*, 03 June 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#124 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

I am reminded of:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates.

Like enkyori is saying, even in science we accept that nothing is absolute. That in itself I find reliable, however contradictory it may sound, and is why I am wary of faith.

Edited by ( ̄ー ̄), 03 June 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#125 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

^ Nicce~ Socrates was somewhat a master of paradox,
And in an odd way his admittance to knowing nothing is what made him more aware than most.

Or, "De omnibus dubitandum est" (Everything is to be doubted) - Descartes

The only thing according to him that we can be sure of, is our own existence,
Because doubting it proves it exists. But, another philosopher, Kierkegaard, (one of the founding fathers of existentialism) says that even that isn't true. Basically you can't be sure that anything your senses perceive are actually happening, and even your thoughts could be being generated by something different than what it eventually feels like. So even my opinion I'm throwing out right now isn't an objective truth... so objective truth doesn't exist. Well maybe I'm making no sense, I'm going waaay off topic and its a long philosophical thing to explain XD

I too am very wary of faith,
But in order to sort of come out of what Kierkegaard calls "Dread"
You need to have something to believe in. I can't go through the world CONSTANTLY reminding myself I could not even exist, so I put what little faith I have in things that have shown to be way more reliable, as opposed to the complete contradictory that is the bible. I want what I believe in to be at least functionally plausible.

That's probably why I consider myself agnostic, even though I have a very strong atheist attitude and sometimes say I'm an atheist so I don't have to have the whole stupid conversation that comes with it, You know, when people say "Then you don't know what you believe in" and act like you're stupid for not being certain. The certainty that most atheists show is just as silly to me as the certainty of Christians.

Edited by --e n k y o r i*, 03 June 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#126 ( ̄ー ̄)

( ̄ー ̄)

crazy fangirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

Yuppp~

I have to say I am an agnostic for the same reasons despite having a very atheist stance on things.

Thread over \o/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users