9 replies to this topic

#1 e n v i i

e n v i i

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

I'm trying to convert a huge .avi file into a smaller .avi file. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that could do that for me? Maybe one where you can input the file size/screen size and it can convert to those specifications. Basically, I just want to be able to upload the converted file on Youtube.

Any help would be appreciated. You don't need to link me to the file if it's too much trouble. Just gimme the name and I can google it.

Thank you. :notworthy:

#2 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

I'm using Total Video Converter . It can convert many formats into each other :notworthy: . I think it's quite good, but it's not a free-ware, you need to find the crack/serials :( (and it's not hard to find :D)
Hope this useful for u :thumbsup:

#3 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

Try VirtualDub:
http://www.virtualdub.org/

It's freeware, and I've used it to reduce HUGE .avi files into half-sized ones.

Just open the video, select VIDEO then FILTERS. Click the ADD button, and select "2:1 reduction (high quality)". Click OK, then OK again.

Then click VIDEO, then COMPRESSION. A dialog box lets you choose which method of output you want (DIVX, XVID, and a bunch of others I haven't even heard of, LOL).

Start the conversion process, and pretty soon you'll have a new, smaller video! :)

#4 sennheiserlover

sennheiserlover

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:47 AM

^ No. Don't use that filter.

Use Avisynth's filters. Spline is the best resizing algorithm there is for open source stuff.

http://avisynth.org

Create an Avisynth script. Open it with notepad.
Type in
avisource("D:\videos\video.avi") #or directshowsource("D:\videos\video.avi")
spline36resize(width/2,height/2) #Type in the specific width and height you want. It has to be a multiple of 2.
#Other filters here
#Eg.
#awarpsharp(13,1,0.35,0) #Edge thinning
#gradfun2db(2) #Debanding
#fft3dgpu(sigma=2, plane=2,  bt=4, bw=32, bh=32, ow=16, oh=16) #Denoising
Save then drag and drop the AVS file into VDub/VDM.

If you want it at the same resolution and quality with a smaller filesize, use H.264 to encode your video. It can provide 2x the compression that MPEG-2 can provided you have tweaked it correctly.
Max compression settings for H.264 are in my signature.

Edited by sennheiserlover, 10 December 2007 - 03:59 AM.

#5 small_bell

small_bell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

^wow...i din noe avisynth can do so much...

does this work for other files such as vob and mpg as well?

recently i've been learning to encode files as well, and i always used "resize" filters from VDM, but i always change to bicubic instead of nearest neighbour as nearest neighbour will always end up with unnecessary vertical lines (i dunno how to explain this but i hope u understanf what i mean). as for compression, i always use ffdshow video codec.

i may want to try to use ur method since i have installed avisynth long before...thanks for ur help... :)

Edited by small_bell, 10 December 2007 - 07:13 AM.

#6 sennheiserlover

sennheiserlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

AviSynth can do plenty of things.

Bicubic is rubbish. Lanczos and Spline are the only ones worth using. Both are fast enough for realtime processing.
Don't use the Lanczos3 filter in VDM. Use Lanczos4. But Spline would still be the preferred filter.

Nearest Neighbour (worst resize filter to use) will give you plenty of artifacts and jagged edges. You can smooth them out with undeint() or blur(0.5,0.5).
Or you could try adding this at the end of your script. Found it somewhere on Doom9.
o = last
Assumeframebased().AssumeTFF().SeparateFields()
dbl   = mt_Average( SelectEven().EEDI2(field=1,maxd=4),
\				  SelectOdd() .EEDI2(field=0,maxd=4), U=3,V=3 )
dblD  = mt_MakeDiff(o,dbl,U=3,V=3)
shrpD = mt_MakeDiff(dbl,dbl.RemoveGrain(11),U=3,V=3)
DD	= shrpD.Repair(dblD,13)

dbl.mt_AddDiff(DD,U=3,V=3)

There're different codecs available under FFDShow. H.264 provides the highest compression but it requires the most CPU power to decode and is very slow at encoding. It's able to provide around 130% the compression XviD can, 160% of DivX and 200% or more compared to MPEG-2.

Edited by sennheiserlover, 10 December 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#7 Guest_saranghae34_*

Guest_saranghae34_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

google iSquint and VisualHub...i use those and they're very nice. iSquint only converts to mp4, but VisualHub converts to just about anything. You have to buy that one though, but the free trial converts 2 min. clips. You can keep the free version for as long as you want, if you need to convert small stuff.

#8 char-char

char-char

CHARmander;

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

i use virtual dub mod.
it's a great avi re-encoder :notworthy:

#9 small_bell

small_bell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

AviSynth can do plenty of things.

Bicubic is rubbish. Lanczos and Spline are the only ones worth using. Both are fast enough for realtime processing.
Don't use the Lanczos3 filter in VDM. Use Lanczos4. But Spline would still be the preferred filter.

ic...thanks for the advice...:)

i've tried using both lanczos4 and spline36 for resizing, i dunno why but the video came out funny: there's a big green patch at the bottom and the video runs slower than usual (ie, the video and the audio became unsync)

here's the example
Posted Image

but overall i think spline36 is really a good filter, i dun even need to add deinterlace filter to blend the lines together. :lol:

btw, how abt mpeg files? i dun think avisynth works for that.

#10 sennheiserlover

sennheiserlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

You MUST deinterlace before resizing or you'll end up with rubbish.
MCBob and MVBob are the best deinterlacers.

Open MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 videos with DGIndex. Then create an AVS file (if you don't have a template in your DGIndex folder) that contains
MPEG2Source("wherever\file.d2v")
#Filters here
#MCBob()
#Spline36Resize(height,width)
Then open that AVS file with VDM if you want to edit it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users