• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 4761922860

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

^Her sales are low. Like I said before, other artists weekly sales can already outsell BoA's overall sales.

BoA's single maybe be in the top 10 for the daily charts, but overall sales suck compared to others. Her highest selling single of 2006 Winter Love took #114 on the Oricon Yearly Singles Chart. I don't know about you guys, but I don't consider that very high.

Same thing with Se7en...and Rain...and CHEMISTRY...and GACKT...and so on. I guess it's the price to pay when you're a Hallyu star.

Yep. Really good examples. I know Se7en and Rain are planning to enter the US market and all that, but I don't know poop about their songs :(

Edited by 4761922860, 15 December 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#17 a_chan

a_chan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

That might be slightly true in the present but not in the past. BoA has albums that ended up in the top 10 for the year that they we're released in, some even top 5 but yeah her image does probably make her money nowadays. Still, she does have high ranking albums/singles that are popular just not as popular as her (if that makes sense)

Edit: ^ thats only because the single was released late in the year, in november i think. It's chart life went into the next year which is why it didn't chart as well. Plus it was certified Triple Platnium for digital sales so she went right somewhere

Edited by a_chan, 15 December 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#18 Kudaranai

Kudaranai

humany wumany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

^Her sales are low. Like I said before, other artists weekly sales can already outsell BoA's overall sales.

BoA's single maybe be in the top 10 for the daily charts, but overall sales suck compared to others. Her highest selling single of 2006 Winter Love took #114 on the Oricon Yearly Singles Chart. I don't know about you guys, but I don't consider that very high.

but her album still made it to the top 20 in the yearly chart though

#19 4761922860

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

^^Still, I don't think her rank would've gone up by much.
nna~bnb~ landed on #109 on the Yearly Charts.

^Mmmm? It's not the end of the year yet! How can they rank it :(

#20 Aestas

Aestas

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

i think her early music chart toppers are what made her popular and is the only thing carrying her popularity now even though her recent sales aren't spectacular.

so yes... i think you are correct in saying that right now, BoA is more popular than her music.

Edited by Aestas, 15 December 2007 - 02:10 PM.

#21 fiferdodo

fiferdodo

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

That might be true in Japan. But not really in Korea though... Her sales are still pretty good there. I think the problem is that when BoA tried to act mature, she let go of everything that made her special. When she was all happy happy and stuff. You don't see her like that anymore. I think in trying to find herself, she lost herself which is why she feels the way she feels now. If somehow she could bring back the real BoA then I'm sure her sales would go up.

#22 twinklerin

twinklerin

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

hm....this dun make sense to me,sry...I think her sales aren't low...she's on the TOP 10/5....So what do you want?xD I mean there are over 1000s of other artist who didn't even come to the top 20,so why bother,we still love her...

#23 pupluvgurl

pupluvgurl

~Lindahh://♥

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Um...she more commerically successful than in sales, but she's still super well known even though her sales haven't been so high... But your idea makes sense alot to me.

hm....this dun make sense to me,sry...I think her sales aren't low...she's on the TOP 10/5....So what do you want?xD I mean there are over 1000s of other artist who didn't even come to the top 20,so why bother,we still love her...

Still, in her standards that very low, we've seen way better than what she has in sales now, you would understand this if you saw her sales from before and everything.

Edited by pupluvgurl, 15 December 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#24 BoAiloveYOU

BoAiloveYOU

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

yes
cuz
BoA has horrible song writers

#25 ~Spica~

~Spica~

The Red Butterfly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

I never thought of this before...I must say it's true. Lots of people I talk to on the internet know who BoA is, but don't know any of her songs. One person didn't even know she was a singer! This is a good theory indeed.

#26 juniorpop

juniorpop

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Yeap you can say that again.
For asians, she served more as a beautiful girl than a singer.
Although i hate that, but well that's how human responds to something beautiful.

#27 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

Your opinion makes sense t me ! I think it's true, at least in my country ! Nowadays, many of my friends know who BoA is, they keep saying that " Oh BoA? Yah, I know her, she's so cute/ famous / I love her outfits/ I like her hairstyle ~~" blah blah something like that, except her songs :wub: !!!

We have to concede that BoA start to be over the hill ^_^ , she's not on the top like she was about 2 years ago ^_^. She start to become a role model for ppl to look at and admire, not to listen to her music *sighs*

Moreover, digital sales/downloading is so popular these days, it also 1 factor killing her physical sales ^_^

But about the fact that "BoA is more popular than her music", I don't think it that bad :(. At least, nowadays, ppl all over Asia has known the name BoA, no matter b/c of her music or not, it's a big success enough, isn't it? Looking around, how many female gasoo's names spreading over Asia? Looking at divas all over the world, such as Celine Dion or Mariah Carey ect , we remember their names and just a few of their hits. And now our BoA has also reach that "diva period" (not all over the world, but in Asia ^_^). Hope you guys get my point here ~~ Arg ~ I don't know how to make my point more clearly ><...

Generally, I have nothing to complain about BoA' career up to now. She has done a real good job :(. There no Korean artist can make a big career in Japan like BoA :P. There's no female gasoo in SM Town can reach big success like BoA. I'm proud of being her fan :wub:

oh well that's partly true..
maybe her music is not up to their expecttion these days but she is still well known...
btw she seldom gets no1 position for ehr single except for do the motion rite? *nearly type lose the motion*..

--> Hahaha ~ Did 'Lose Your Mind' make you 'lose your mind' these days ? :( ~ 'Lose the motion' - it sounds great for a song title, too :lol:

#28 CoCoGirl886

CoCoGirl886

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from. Perhaps now the current BoA is more popular than her recent music but I think that her overall music (past and present) is a big part of what made her popular. For me personally, I don't exactly remember how I got into BoA but I remember when I first got into BoA... and then there was a period I stopped listening/following BoA and then later on I somehow got into her again and I'm still here now :(. I believe one of the songs that got my attention was her Valenti. That song is so catchy and I love the dance steps :(.

I agree with you that one of the main reasons why BoA gained so much fame is because 1) at that time she was SO young.. only 13 and debuting with awesome singing and dancing skills, 2) She was one of the first artists to step past the Korea borders and perform in Japan, 3) The previous 2 reasons combined with her hard-working personality gave her success and even more popularity! :lol:.

I read on a thread sometime ago about the 5 year curse of Korean popstars and how BoA survived through that, which I think is another point that makes her so famous.. after all these years she is still performing. And like what someone said about BoA being past the hill of her career... even though she's no longer at the top, she still managed to stick her flag there :wub:. She's a legend and will always be remember for her accomplishments even if she's not producing as much music. I also found her 2002-2003 Japanese songs a lot more catchier than her 2005-2006 releases. But even so, I still followed her career.. and I believe many others as well :P.

Yep. Really good examples. I know Se7en and Rain are planning to enter the US market and all that, but I don't know poop about their songs :wub:

^I also know Se7en and Rain as singers but only know a few of their songs ^_^. At one point I kept getting Se7en, Rain/Bi and Minwoo confused :(. But seeing it this way.. doesn't this apply to most artists? For example, the old classics like Shinhwa, FinKL and SES. I know like one Shinhwa song and a couple of FinKL and SES songs but I still know that they were very popular back in the day.

#29 freedreamer

freedreamer

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

many know about her...but they arnt very strong fans, so they dont buy....

#30 Mikenyhk

Mikenyhk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

maybe ppl are finally realizing how talented BoA is... she carry herself great and work her @$$ work n sing her heart out.. who
wouldn't like her...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users